FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCProhhD vs ProRes

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Targia
DVCProhhD vs ProRes
on Jun 28, 2010 at 3:54:29 pm

Currently for my HPX170 I use DVCPro in my timelines in FCP since that is how its saved on the P2 cards, is there any benefit to ingesting it as ProRes 422 or 4444? Also I do alot of Chroma Key work.

================================================
MacPro Octo Core Intel Xenon 2.8Ghz 6GB DDR2 Ram
FCP 7.0.2
-I highly recomend el Gato Turbo264HD-

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: DVCProhhD vs ProRes
on Jun 28, 2010 at 4:05:19 pm

Not really. The only benefit you MIGHT get is a 10-bit color space. Full raster graphics. But DVCPRO HD is a 4:2:2 format, as is ProRes.

And don't use ProRes 4444 for editing. It is a replacement for the Animation codec, a format that can carry over embedded ALPHA channels. DOn't look at a format and go "wow, that has a higher data rate, it must be better!" Many times your footage won't benefit from that higher rate, and also the codec might be meant for some other use.

Cutting DVCPRO HD and then outputting that is just fine. I did that for many many shows.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher Targia
on Jun 28, 2010 at 5:39:08 pm

great thanks shane

================================================
MacPro Octo Core Intel Xenon 2.8Ghz 6GB DDR2 Ram
FCP 7.0.2
-I highly recomend el Gato Turbo264HD-

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 28, 2010 at 6:58:12 pm

It wouldn't matter until the first time you rendered something and made new media in your timeline. If everything in your timeline is first generation DVCPROHD and your effects are all within FCP it doesn't matter. Whatever codec you select as your output codec will automatically be used for renders and the quality will be as good as the source permits.

However if you're doing shots in another app and bringing new media back into FCP that's where kicking it into ProRes will make a difference in the quality. But in that case you simply want to export from the first generation DVCPROHD media you already have to ProRes. The only way to really get better source footage than DVCPROHD would be the capture directly live from the camera to ProRes- say with an AJA Ki Pro or a Matrox MXO.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 28, 2010 at 7:51:08 pm

I shoot DVCPro 50 all the time for a couple of TV shows( 1 hour & 1/2 hour). This also includes some Chroma work.To begin with i was using Uncompressed 8 bit but the project's size was just way too huge for my hard drives. My thinking was that uncompressed 8 bit will make my projects better, but i was wrong.

So after doing some research i switched over to pro res422. Project size is manageable & even the rendering times are not that long.

Is that a wise choice or should i just stick to DVCPro 50?

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 28, 2010 at 10:35:40 pm

Doesn't really matter what your project is set at- all that determines is what things will render as. If you drop DVCPRO50 footage into a ProRes timeline it's still DVCPRO50, until you render or export something. You could easily edit something as DVCPRO50 and then decide to switch to ProRes on the export- won't make any difference as you edit.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Loui Henry
on Jul 16, 2010 at 7:16:09 am

Hi
Just read your response while deciding to choose a new mac machine I struggling and can't decide if I shall go with the latest 17" i7 Macbook pro or a Mac Pro.
I shoot with a panasonic ag-hpx 171 dvcpro hd mainly in highest quality (50i) and want to have a smile on my face when editing and and doing export work on my soon to get mac.
Question is if the latest Macbook pro will do the job very well or just ok. I know there's a limitation with the laptop model but thinking forward, and att the sametime I can't afford two systems, I also need to be movable and have it as a workhorse and a presentation machine.
What are your experiences from this?

LH

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Jul 30, 2010 at 8:22:07 pm

Seems like a simple answer to me. Just look at what your needs are. If you see yourself having a need for being mobile then I would recommend the MacBook Pro. I edit DVCpro HD from my HPX170 on a 15" MacBook Pro unibody from October 2008 with a 2.8 ghz dual core processor. Long before the i7. While it doesn't touch a Mac Pro in performance, it gets the job done.

Most important thing is to make sure that your scratch drives are fast enough. I use a CalDigit VR which suits my uses perfectly and I plug it in through either FW800 or eSATA via the CalDigit expresscard. Just depends on what my set up is at the time. I also do plenty of color work and my laptop really does hold up well.

This is the only truly "mobile" option. However, if having a presentation platform is more important than a mobile editing system, than I would say get the MacPro and an iPad.

Panasonic HPX170 P
2008 Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
CalDigit VR
Final Cut Pro Studio 3
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]