FORUMS: list search recent posts

Had enough of P2 data salad

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre Monteiro
Had enough of P2 data salad
on Jun 28, 2010 at 7:04:37 am

Hi, I've got an HVX205A last year and absolutely love it,but there is one thing that is driving me crazy! I love the idea of the p2 cards, since then i never have to worry about tape and that's awesome but in post production it's being really hard to work. One thing is that i can't see the mxf files in thumbnail form,and the other is the files get named in a strange way and the worst is that they are "NEVER" organized in the shooting order. End result is, I get all these bunch of files, not in the shooting order and have to basically watch and organize all of them before i start to edit.
I don't know if its the same with Final Cut but in Premiere, the files are never in order, it's just a big jam of data.
Please help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Had enough of P2 data salad
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:16:46 am

[Andre Monteiro] "One thing is that i can't see the mxf files in thumbnail form"

Yes you can. In FCP's LOG AND TRANSFER, in the P2CMS interface...P2 Flow (http://www.mxf4mac.com). You just can't see them on the finder level. But then again, you can't with most tapeless formats...XDCAM EX, AVCHD...

[Andre Monteiro] ",and the other is the files get named in a strange way and the worst is that they are "NEVER" organized in the shooting order."

INcorrect. They are labelled in numerical order. 0001GH, 0002YT, 0003VB...etc. And this order will continue when you span from card to card.

[Andre Monteiro] "End result is, I get all these bunch of files, not in the shooting order and have to basically watch and organize all of them before i start to edit. "

Which you don't do with tape? you don't watch and label your footage from tape when you bring it in? And you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS organize your footage before you edit. How else will you know what you have, and where to find it?

[Andre Monteiro] "I don't know if its the same with Final Cut but in Premiere, the files are never in order, it's just a big jam of data.
Please help."

Well, Premiere, in my experience, has never been suited for dealing with a LOT of footage. But I haven't had the pleasure of using Premiere lately, so I can't comment on recent updates. FCP brings then in in numerical order, or you can give them a custom name and counter when you Import, or you can use third party options that allow for native support of the footage, and importing of ALL the metadata.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andre Monteiro
on Jun 28, 2010 at 12:05:10 pm

Thank you Shane for your quick and detailed response. I don't use FCP so I'd like someone that uses premiere to jump in and tell me their workflow.Like when i check the contents folder in my p2 card it is like you said in order 001GK,002FG etc but when i import them to premiere, some are in order and then a sequence of three clips or just a single clip from other parts of the shooting pops in here and there making my life hell sometimes. I know that with tape we need to capture so we have to watch our whole footage before we start to edit but isn't it one of the reasons why we change to p2? Like a lot of what i do is to cover events and then make a digest of 5 min in chronological order so i don't really need to check let's say my 150 cuts before i start editing, i watch them as i go but if they are not completely in order it makes me waste a big time checking them. And time is money.
Thanks again and hope others can help me out too.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:30:51 pm

And to add further, the naming convention of P2 does usually go in order, it's just that sometimes it seems like it doesn't.

The first four numbers of the clip are a series of numbers that 'count up' per card (unless you have a spanned clip that crosses over to another card, then the numbers roll over from the first card). The next two numbers or letters represent a hopefully unique identifier. SInce those last two characters can be letter OR numbers, it sometimes looks like the clips are out of order as your computer will sort them by number.

So, if your first clip is 0001TN, and your second clip is 00021X, and your third clip is 0003XY, it might appear when sorting by name that the 0002 clip is after the 0003 clip, but if you use just the first four numbers, you will notice that it is in fact in order (0001-0003). As has been mentioned, sorting by timecode should fix this. The camera will count up from 0001-9999 and then start over, the last two characters should be unique to the number (but I have seen dupes before, from the same camera and same shoot).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Philip Merten
on Jun 28, 2010 at 11:59:10 am

To see your P2 clips in chronological order in Premiere, go to your bin, click on "list view" and then click on "video in" at the top of the bin. That will make all the clips fall into chronological order.

Return to posts index

Andre Monteiro
on Jun 28, 2010 at 12:07:23 pm

Oh Thanks a lot brother! I haven't check it yet but hope that it works.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jun 28, 2010 at 2:04:16 pm

I started using P2 files in Premiere without previous folder organizing and I felt like you. But that was the common case of "the lazy guy works double". I just started to create folders and sub-folders arranging the files and that did it fine for me.

Sometimes I create different comps just for a fast search between common clips. I keep them open and if I have to search a shot from, for example, the exterior of a building and I have tons of them, I do not have to double click endless clips to see what they have, I just scroll the time line watching all of them, then copy-paste to my work comp.

I hope this helps

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 28, 2010 at 6:59:25 pm

"the lazy guy works double"

I'm making that my new slogan! :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jun 29, 2010 at 3:58:53 am

I have been the lazy guy too many times with FCP. A great reminder to RTFM and keep on listening to the pro editors like Shane who do this for a living. In the past ten years, I have learned several tricks here and over the LAFCPUG board that have saved me hundreds of hours of "doing it the dumb way" instead of streamlining and doing it the smart way.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]