FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 footage importing glitchy

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mariah garnett
P2 footage importing glitchy
on Jun 25, 2010 at 10:19:57 pm

I'm trying to import p2 footage shot at 720 24p into finalcut (6.0.3) using log and transfer. I've never had a problem with it before, but what's happening is that it plays back fine in the preview window, but once final cut makes quicktimes out of it the sound drops out after a few seconds and the image is slow and choppy - like a streaming video that isn't loading properly (if i play the files in QT they do this too). I've tried making an easy setup in fcp that is set to DVCPROHD 720p24, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. any ideas?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 footage importing glitchy
on Jun 25, 2010 at 11:11:43 pm

Where is this footage stored? The Capture Scratch drive. What is it? How is it formatted?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

mariah garnett
on Jun 25, 2010 at 11:37:51 pm

I made disk images of the original p2 cards and they are stored on an external drive and on my computer. So the original structure of the p2 card is intact - when I unarchive the .dmgs a virtual drive called NO NAME shows up and acts as the p2 card.

the footage that i've imported through fcp goes into a capture scratch folder on an external drive and all those quicktimes look weird. I've also tried capturing directly to my computer's hard drive but that doesn't work either. I have also tried on another computer, which is also a mac and has the same version of fcp on it.
if I open the info window on the clips I have imported (quicktime files) this is what I get:

FORMAT:
DVCPRO HD 720p60, 960 x 720 (1248 x 702), Millions
16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Center, 48.000 kHz

FPS:

DATA RATE:
47.26 Mbit/s

CURRENT SIZE:
1248 x 702 pixels (Actual)

I have tried "ingesting" the cards through P2CMS but all that seems to do is create copies of the p2 cards and basically turn each clip into its own p2 card if that makes sense.

One thing that seems strange to me is that the native video codec appears to be DV100_720/59.94p (in the P2CMS display window)
I thought i was shooting 720 24p but ... ?

thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

mariah garnett
on Jun 25, 2010 at 11:41:33 pm

I made disk images of the original p2 cards and they are stored on an external drive and on my computer. So the original structure of the p2 card is intact - when I unarchive the .dmgs a virtual drive called NO NAME shows up and acts as the p2 card.

the footage that i've imported through fcp goes into a capture scratch folder on an external drive and all those quicktimes look weird. I've also tried capturing directly to my computer's hard drive but that doesn't work either. I have also tried on another computer, which is also a mac and has the same version of fcp on it.
if I open the info window on the clips I have imported (quicktimes) this is what I get:
FORMAT:
DVCPRO HD 720p60, 960 x 720 (1248 x 702), Millions

FPS:

DATA RATE:
47.26 Mbit/s

CURRENT SIZE:
1248 x 702 pixels (Actual)

I have tried "ingesting" the cards through P2CMS but all that seems to do is create copies of the p2 cards and basically turn each clip into its own p2 card if that makes sense.

One thing that seems strange to me is that the native video codec appears to be DV100_720/59.94p (in the P2CMS display window)
I thought i was shooting 720 24p but ... ?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 26, 2010 at 12:18:44 am

[mariah garnett] "i've imported through fcp goes into a capture scratch folder on an external drive and all those quicktimes look weird. "

Define "weird." WHat isn't looking right? And where are you judging this quality? Only a broadcast monitor or HDTV connected via an HD capture device can show you what your footage REALLY looks like.

[mariah garnett] "One thing that seems strange to me is that the native video codec appears to be DV100_720/59.94p (in the P2CMS display window)
I thought i was shooting 720 24p but ... ? "

ALL DVCPRO HD at 720p is 720p60...720p 59.94. That is the FORMAT. Then the FRAME RATE can differ. Because this is based on a tape format that only runs at 59.94. But, if you shot 24p and not 24pN, then your footage is 59.94. Only PN gets you 23.98.

Shane

Return to posts index

mariah garnett
on Jun 26, 2010 at 12:24:07 am

by weird i mean the sound drops out after a few seconds and it basically plays like a poorly streaming video - sound not matching up to image, image moving slow but not smooth like slow mo - choppy, so it jumps ahead in time periodically but moves slower than a regular frame rate. make sense?

glad to hear about the 59.94, but it wasn't shot to tape, it was shot to card. But I'm pretty sure I didn't shoot PN.

is there a way to set the import settings in fcp log and transfer? the only options i seem to be getting in that preferences pulldown are prores 422 and 422 HQ. or, is there a better program to be converting the files in?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 26, 2010 at 12:47:20 am

AHA!! Sorry, and you did say this in your first post. Ahem....

in the P2 Import window...in the P2 Browser, there is a little sprocket drop down menu. Click on that and choose PREFERENCES. Uncheck REMOVE PULLDOWN and then try importing again.

Shane

Return to posts index

mariah garnett
on Jun 26, 2010 at 1:08:32 am

oh my god you are my hero. i can't believe it was that simple!
thank you!!!!!

Return to posts index

Patrick donEgan
on Jul 18, 2010 at 6:25:58 am

I can believe it is that simple -
so many problems are solved with one little click hear or there...

It's just finding out which one is the problem.

I am all the way in the middle of the Pacific Ocean

Return to posts index

Steve Tharp
on Aug 12, 2010 at 12:50:55 am

Shane, hope you can give me some of your expertise. I too have received some P2 footage (I do have the raw MXF files). It was shot 720p24 (24 over 60) so NOT 24pn.

When I do the log & transfer I have "Remove Advanced Pulldown" CHECKED. What comes in is a 720p24 DVCProHD file (GREAT!). However when I playback that file in FCP through my kona onto my pano reference lcd the video is choppy / jerky and the audio is out of sync.

I've done this procedure 1,000's of times but it seems this issue is creeping up all of sudden. Any insight you have?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 12, 2010 at 1:00:03 am

Kona output set to 720p 59.94 8-bit?

Shane

Return to posts index

Steve Tharp
on Aug 12, 2010 at 1:22:28 am

Yes. Kona is set that way, as well as the video playback in fcp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]