FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony MPEG-2 , 4:2:0 Long GOP render times

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Gonzales
Sony MPEG-2 , 4:2:0 Long GOP render times
on Jun 21, 2010 at 5:53:13 am

My company owns the HPX 170 and we are toying with the idea of buying a Sony EX3. The one thing we like about the Panasonic codec (shooting DVCPRO HD in 720 or 1080 with any of it's preset frame rates) is its render times in AE, especially when doing a chroma key with the above settings. The render times really aren't too bad. Even when compressing the DVCPRO codec to a different format, say H2.64 at some of basic presets in FCP aren't too painful.

I was just curious, since the EX3 only shoots at 35mbs and shoots MPEG-2 , 4:2:0 Long GOP, how are the render times at 1080 or 720p at various frame rates with this codec? Say just going off the timeline to the same format or doing a key in AE to the same format or apple animation?

any thoughts?

Kevin Gonzales
http://www.12point.net

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Sony MPEG-2 , 4:2:0 Long GOP render times
on Jun 21, 2010 at 3:43:48 pm

Why not post this in the Sony EX forum. While I'm sure there are people in here that use both cameras, the people in the Sony forum use it for sure.

Also post your system specs. Seems like you are looking for specific answers but giving general specs.

I don't use HDV (or XDCAM) codec much but my workflow is to transcode it to ProRes at the start. Then rendering times would be greatly reduced throughout the project and I feel better quality is maintained.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 21, 2010 at 4:07:08 pm

My personal opinion would be to think about the color space of DVCPro HD vs XDCAM EX.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:40:56 pm

I'd just go to ProRes (or it's PC/NLE equivalent if you're not on FCP). If you're not shooting DVCPROHD already out of the camera, it's a better codec all around for less compressed/higher quality post production work.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]