FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP HD footage not HD?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nader Shidfar
FCP HD footage not HD?
on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:30:49 pm

Hey everyone!

I shot some footage with my HVX in 720p/24pn and with a default frame rate on film setting. When I transferred the video to my brand new iMac to watch it on p2cms the footage was a little grainy.

Did I not put my HVX in the right setting (for being HD) or is it because I am watching it on p2cms?

I tried looking at it on FCP to see if it looked different, but I wasn't able to discern the difference.

Am I doing anything wrong? My setting for the computer display is at default, and I was under the impression that iMacs have HD resolution.

I am pretty new to all of this. Short of me ripping 2 minutes of footage to a DVD to watch it on an HD tv, I have no way of seeing what it looks like right now.

Please help me out! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: FCP HD footage not HD?
on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:22:19 pm

HD does not mean automatic high quality, it is only referring to the resolution, you are shooting HD 720p but the image quality depends on a lot of things and is never automatic.

If you are ripping DVD you are never looking at HD footage, displaying it on an HD TV doesn't make it HD.

Panasonic's are not grain free by any means, with proper lighting and exposure, sharp focus and the right settings the images can be beautiful.

If you want post a few still grabs of your footage.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 18, 2010 at 10:02:54 pm

Yeah what you see on the FCP screen is just a low res proxy preview. Output to a DVD or get an HD display card with HDMI out to see a much better representation of what you shot.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Nader Shidfar
on Jun 19, 2010 at 2:03:31 am

So what kind of settings can make a shot look more crisp?

Just an example, you don't have to go into detail. I am just confused about it all.

Thanks for your help and input!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 19, 2010 at 5:16:31 am

The two most important things you can do to get crisp images is exposure and focus. If you under expose your footage you will get noise, slightly out of focus and you will see it more.

But the settings like B-Press vs Cine D in the camera will make a difference but also effect the look of the image so there is no right wrong answer here. You have to test and retest under your shooting conditions. I don't know if Panasonic is still giving the Barry Green book with the cameras HVX200 and HPX170, if not order the book, it is a must have for that camera. He goes into all of this and it is a better manual for the cameras then the panasonic's, but the panasonic manual is fine also. But in the end you need to shoot, watch and evaluate.

Return to posts index

Nader Shidfar
on Jun 19, 2010 at 2:05:33 am

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am supremely new at FCP. I mean...like...new to the extreme. I don't even know how to put up still pics.

I'm working on learning on how to though.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 19, 2010 at 2:27:45 am

More crisp = what exactly in your mind? Any sharpening you might add in with FCP is just messing up your original footage. If you want sharper image you need to get shots in better focus with better lenses with better cameras. It's really as simple as that.

And do read the manual or search google just a bit please before asking these kinda super basic questions. We're here to troubleshoot serious issues, not take the place of you doing your homework. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Gareth Watkins
on Jun 28, 2010 at 10:30:37 am

FCP offers full screen playback, so you should get a pretty good idea what your pictures have come out like.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]