FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX 200 footage to be used with iPad

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Snyder
HVX 200 footage to be used with iPad
on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:01:56 pm

I have been hired to produce a short video for a band and the final destination for the video is going to be an iPad app. I am planning on using an HVX 200 to shoot with and possibly a Canon HV30. Is there any compatibility or formatting issues that I should be aware of considering my choice of cameras and the fact that this will be viewed on an iPad?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: HVX 200 footage to be used with iPad
on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:40:25 pm

Better shoot progressive, not interlaced.

Consider your final frame rate for the one you're going to use in the camera. If you're going for 15 fps on the final video, then record at 30 fps, not 24.

Still shots compress better than moving shots. Complex changing backgrounds, like a fountain or trees on the wind, can cause artifacts on the final compression too. Not a rule to avoid this, but it's nice to know in advance what can give you problems at the very end.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Andy Snyder
on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:53:14 pm

OK. So then the right choice of recording format with the HVX is probably 720P at either 24 or 30 FPS (I probably will shoot at 24). I also am going to need to have a camera that I can grab quickly and "run and gun" with a bit. I have a Canon HV30 and have had success using it with HVX footage in the past. Would shooting HDV 24 with the Canon and 720P at 24 fps with the HVX be a decent choice?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Fernando Mol
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:27:07 pm

That will depend on the nature of your footage. It will be difficult to perfect match video from the two cameras (not for the compression format, but for the CCD and internal process on each one). That will be a stylistic decision in the end. Viewers are more forgiving when watching something "documentary" style.

If this were my project, I'll do some tests, but if you have worked that way in the past with pleasant results, the final compression for the iPad should add you no extra issues. On the contrary, the difference on detail and crispiness will probably be blurred when the final compression is added.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Andy Snyder
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:37:32 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]