FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200p low light

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
HVX200p low light
on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:17:02 pm

Would anyone care to share some settings that help in low light conditions. We are shooting at night and in a bar with poor lighting and don't have the option of lighting it properly other than using our camera mounted Lite Panels mini.

What are some good settings to tweek? We're shooting 720p24 PN. Deliverables to web and presentations via Keynote on HDTV. I'm planning on using the standard F1 scene file unless Cine-V or D would help.

Also, will those settings work with shooting DV?

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: HVX200p low light
on Jun 4, 2010 at 11:53:48 pm

If you are shooting SD use DVCPro50, if you have to do Color Correcting in post the 4:2:2 color space will help out a lot. (of course this means no tape)

The Cine gammas are the noisiest so stay away from them.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:10:51 pm

Thanks Michael. I am pretty much forced to shoot DV for the one. But the other one will be P2 @ 720. If the Cine gammas are the noisiest, is the anything particular you can recommend? I'll stick with the standard shoot mode, F1, but I know you can up the Gain from low to med or even high. However that introduces lots of noise. Are there any internal settings in the menu to adjust.

I've seen clips from people on YouTube that get pretty good night shots with adjustments to shutter speed and stuff. However, I don't know enough to make those adjustments on my own. Does anyone have some settings to share?

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 8, 2010 at 2:12:07 am

There are two trains of thought, shoot as close to the end result as you can in camera vs. shoot flat to give you the most to work with in post. One is not better than the other, if you are doing quick edits not much of budget for post then in camera is the way to go, if you have the time and want the most out of post then shoot flat and neutral has its benefit.

As per Barry Green - B Press has the least amount of noise. In fact in you don't have his book it is a must have. He really does into all the different settings. But with stuff like this there is no substitute for testing because the B Press might plug up the blacks a bit to much. WIth wanting to lower the noise you need to reduce the detail levels also.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jun 8, 2010 at 1:05:37 pm

Thanks MIichael, this has been helpful. What is Barry's book called? I've seen his 2 training DVDs along with Gary Adcocks. Below:

http://www.amazon.com/HVX-BootCamp-DVD-Barry-Green/dp/B000LHAF84/ref=pd_sim...

http://www.amazon.com/Vasst-Training-DVD-Panasonic-Techniques/dp/B000FQAHZ2

Would you recommend one vs. the other. I think I need some more training on this camera and camera's in general. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]