FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Audio at all

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Colson
No Audio at all
on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:30:38 pm

Hello Cow Professionals. I was running a test yesterday to look at quality differences between shooting 720p24p & 720p24pn.
I shot one clip in pn, uploaded it, formatted card, changed record settings, shot second clip in 24p, uploaded it, examined the differences and reverted menu settings to 24pn for the shoot.

Both test clips have audio.

Then I shot the footage I needed in 24 pn. When I uploaded that footage there was no audio at all.

Confused, I shot another test, not changing any settings, and voila, there was audio.

Another thing to note. I was going to record a voice track as a marker during the actual shoot (not in testing) plugged my lav into channel one - could not get an audio reading, so I figured to save time, rather than trouble shoot the lav issue, I'd just use the camera audio, unplugged the lav and shot the footage.

The audio is not critical for this project, but I am confused as to why this occured and would like to understand it before it happens when audio is critical.

I have never had a problem with the camera (Panasonic AG-HVX200P) not recording audio. The camera was connected to an external monitor through the component out jack, although I have done this numerous times before with no issue.

Shooting to P2
FCP 6.0.6
Mac 2 x 2.66 Quad Core

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: No Audio at all
on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:52:30 pm

When shooting in pN modes, leave the frame rate at 'default'. With all of the display info on, the internal LCD should have 24:24 and not something like 48:24 or 60:24. This means your are shooting the proper frame rate, if it's not a matching frame rate (like 60:24) that means you are shooting 60 over 24 and therefore over-cranking which causes the audio to not record.

That being said, when playing the files in log and transfer, do you hear audio? if so, then turn off the 'remove duplicate frames' option in the log and transfer window.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Amy Colson
on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:14:11 pm

Thanks Jeremy. There is no audio at all in the L&T window. The frame rate was/is at 24.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:18:10 pm

You can be at 24pN with a different frame rate.

did you see audio meters while recording?

Return to posts index

Amy Colson
on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:59:59 pm

Sorry, I should have been more clear in the last response. My settings read 24:24p 1/24. When set to 720p24p the settings read 24p 1/24. The only menu item changed during the test (which again had audio in both 720p24pn & 720p24p) was the record format.

After running the test, I switched the setting back to 24pn.

I didn't notice the meters as audio wasn't really a concern.

This just occurred to me: Since I had intended to use the lav the Channel 1 select was set to Ch 1. Ch2 select was set to int(R). I had the lav plugged in, but then when I didn't have a signal, took the lav out & didn't switch the CH1 select to Internal. As I understand it, the camera always records two tracks of audio, it just depends on the inputs to Ch1 & 2 as to where these tracks record: i.e. ch 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 or 3 & 4. Could this be the issue?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:09:25 pm

[Amy Colson] "After running the test, I switched the setting back to 24pn. "

This can be confusing though, as you can set the frame rate (different from recording format) to something different, so if you switch from 24pN to 30pN and your frame rate is set to 24, then upon swtiching to 30pN, you will be undercranking and lose your audio. That's why I recommend keeping your frame rate at 'Default' unless you are sure you want off speed footage (it's in the Scene File menu which is separate from the recoding setup menu). Just double checking here is all as this has come up a few times lately.

[Amy Colson] " but then when I didn't have a signal, took the lav out & didn't switch the CH1 select to Internal."

3/4 always record internal (camera mic). With your setup, that would mean ch1 is blank, but 3&4 should have your camera mic on it. Setting internal to 1&2 basically doubles your camera mic (channels 1/2, 3/4 should be identical). When 1/2 are set to Ch1/2, then the camera mic is still on 3/4. You can't get the XLR inputs to record on 3/4.

Originally, maybe you didn't get a signal as your input was set to line instead of mic on the front of the camera?

Return to posts index

Amy Colson
on Jun 4, 2010 at 9:42:17 pm

Jeremy,
Thanks for your thorough responses. I did expect that the audio responded as you described, which is why I found it odd that there was nothing at all.

My op type is set to video cam. I changed the frame rate to default as you suggested in the film cam setup - it looks like the frame rate setting stays at default when the op type is switched back to video cam. Still, though, the frame rate was set to 24 so the overcrank, undercrank issue shouldn't have affected the audio.

Both channel lines are set to mic.

Still stumped...

Amy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2010 at 9:50:16 pm

Do you have all the equipment with you now?

Wired or wireless lav?

Return to posts index

Amy Colson
on Jun 4, 2010 at 9:53:25 pm

Yes. Also, is there a way to look at the settings from the camera in the clips to determine if I am overlooking something?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2010 at 10:05:21 pm

You can look at format and frame rate but not camera settings.

Wired or wireless lav?

Return to posts index

Amy Colson
on Jun 4, 2010 at 11:10:09 pm

Wireless. Audio Technica ATW R 1820.

Over and out for the weekend. Have a good one & thanks for all your help today. I'll check back in on Monday. (Also, can't duplicate the problem...go figure.)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:58:12 pm

[Amy Colson] "(Also, can't duplicate the problem...go figure.)"

Which 'usually' means that some switch somewhere was flipped and now it's flipped back.

I would recommend monitoring the wireless transceivers themselves next time this happens I'm sure there's a headphone out that you can monitor just to make sure that a signal is getting to the transceivers themselves.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]