FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200P audio set up with MixPre

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
HVX200P audio set up with MixPre
on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:48:53 pm

Can someone help me out here. I'm getting really confused when it comes to audio set up between our HVX camera and Sound Devices MixPre. We have both a Senheisser MD46 interview style mic and a Audio Technica 4073a shotgun mic.

This is what I've been doing.

Mic XLR into MixPre Input 1. XLR output (L) into Input 2 on camera set to LINE. Then setting the HVX audio dial ch 1 to about 1/4 and ch 2 to about 3/4. That way if one channel is hot, I can use the other. Does this sound right? Once in FCP, I have 4 channels of audio. Track 1 & 2 are from mic and mixpre, tracks 3 & 4 are from camera internal mic (which I never use & delete). So are tracks 1 & 2 each a stereo pair or dual mono? I mean, if I turn off track 1 and use only 2, audio is coming from both L & R speakers. I'm confused

Or should there be 2 XLR outs from MixPre to camera inputs 1 & 2.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: HVX200P audio set up with MixPre
on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:04:38 pm

It sounds as if channels 1 & 2 are both mono and panned center. Double-click the audio track and look at the viewer. If you see two tabs labeled mono(a1) and mono(a2) you have mono audio. In the viewer you'll also see a pan slider. It's probably at 0 which is center panned. If it's a stereo track you'll see one tab called Stereo (a1a2). Here the pan control probably shows -1. This implies everything panned left, but it's really panned left and right. You can change two mono tracks to stereo by selecting the two tracks and option-L and vice-versa.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:25:32 pm

Thx John. I guess my question is it better to have a stereo pair or 2 mono tracks? I've been using mono tracks because if one ch was too hot I could use the other ch. And yes, the pan is center.

When would you want mono tracks like this and when would you want a stereo pair? I'm doing most talking head stuff. Studio interviews, man-on-the-street interviews and focus group stuff. Which is the better choice and how do I achieve that with proper set up for HVX and the SD MixPre?

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:07:27 pm

I'd stay mono. That way you can use them together or separately as you described. If you use them as a stereo pair, the dialogue will not be centered, as one channel will be louder than the other (per your 1/4 - 3/4 level setting scheme) and the dialogue will be skewed to that side. If you want to use stereo so a gain change in one channel is matched in the other, just set the pan to 0. Then the two channels will both be panned center.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:18:45 pm

Great thx. I believe I'll stay mono then. However, is the described connections the right way to do this with the HVX and mixer? In another topic in the Audio Professionals forum I asked the same sort of question and the response was to have 2 XLR outputs going to the camera inputs 1 & 2. Then having a 1/8" headphone jack go from camera to mixer TAPE RTN. This was I could monitor the mic input and camera output.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/30/863625#863625

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]