FORUMS: list search recent posts

vid rate and codec change on transfer

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robert rooney
vid rate and codec change on transfer
on May 27, 2010 at 7:24:15 pm

Hi,
I just shot a music video in 1080i/24P but when i log and transfer to final cut all the clips came in as 1080p30 with a vid rate of 29.97fps. I checked the P2 cards and the clips I still have on there are 24P but when i open a transferred clip in QuickTime the movie inspector says they're 1080p30 (same as FCP).

Anyone know why the codec and vid rate have changed?

Robert

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: vid rate and codec change on transfer
on May 27, 2010 at 8:02:34 pm

It's possible the camera added pulldown so it's 24 over 60i (59.94) which FCP may report as 29.97.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 27, 2010 at 8:33:40 pm

In DVCPro HD, the codec won't capture to 1080pN24, only AVC-I can do it. What you are seeing is correct.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

robert rooney
on May 27, 2010 at 8:39:17 pm

Thanks. I should have mentioned I used an HVX200. I went back to P2 cards in camera and indeed the time code goes at 30fps although the codec says 24P which suggest the camera did do a pulldown. But something more alarming is I'm getting edge tearing every 2 frames out of 5 (that is 3 clear frames followed by 2 with edge tearing) a consistent pattern. It's not evident when I advance frame by frame in camera on the card but very evident in Final Cut and also when i check the .mov file in QuickTime

robert

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 27, 2010 at 8:42:50 pm

[robert rooney] "(that is 3 clear frames followed by 2 with edge tearing) a consistent pattern."

That's 3:2 pulldown and normal for recording 24p in a 29.97 stream.

Return to posts index

robert rooney
on May 27, 2010 at 8:49:04 pm

Thanks Jeremy and John. I'll stop worrying. But for future reference if I'd used 24PA instead of 24P would I have avoided some of this tearing?

robert

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 27, 2010 at 8:50:59 pm

If shooting 24pA, you can remove the pulldown in the log and transfer prefs by making sure the 'remove advanced pulldown and duplicate frames' option is checked. it should leave you with 23.976 fps QT files.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

robert rooney
on May 27, 2010 at 10:44:17 pm

The 'remove advanced pulldown and duplicate frames' option was checked which is what confused me.
I just tried recompressing a clip with several codecs in Compressor. DVCPRO HD 720p24 loses the edge tearing, looks pretty good but with a slight motion blur on the frames that had tearing and it gives me 23.98 fps. But HD Uncompressed 8-bit 1080p24 retains the tearing at 23.98fps.

Uncompressed 8-bit 1080i60 however looks great but I can't actually play it on my MacBook Pro with G-RAID firewire800 drives. But at least i know I can recompress the used clips once I've edited the piece.

But still scratching my head about this.

robert

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 27, 2010 at 10:59:26 pm

When shooting 24p (and not 24pA) the check box won't do anything as you shot the type
of pulldown that needs to manually be removed. If you watched the footage on a broadcast monitor through a capture card, it would look absolutely normal. Since you are watching in FCP and QT, it will display the interlacing poorly. You can edit as normal, no reason to transcode. Do you need 23.976 QT files for some reason?

If you do, you should shoot 24pA. You can also reverse telcine your current movies either using Cinema Tools or Compressor. I and others have posted this workflow many times across the cow. If you don't need 24p files, then edit as normal in a 29.97 timeline as that is really what your footage is.

Return to posts index

robert rooney
on May 27, 2010 at 11:35:31 pm

Thanks Jeremy. I just read your Compressor workflow for reverse telecine and will try it tomorrow.

robert

Return to posts index

robert rooney
on May 27, 2010 at 10:59:42 pm

OK I've figured it out. My little codec test in Compressor made me check the field dominance. All the original clips came into FCP set to None. I've changed them all to Upper (Odd) and the edge tearing is gone.

robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]