FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can the AG-HPG20 Record Directly to USB Hard Drive?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Marques
Can the AG-HPG20 Record Directly to USB Hard Drive?
on May 25, 2010 at 3:05:00 pm

Hello,

I'd like to rent the AG-HPG20 for a shoot coming up since we will be recording for several hours. My hope is that I can attach a USB hard disk for the storage and not use P2 Cards. I just want to confirm that this USB mode works on this unit. Can anyone confirm for me?

I have done this with the AJ-HPM110, and just assumed that the same functionality carries over to the AG-HPG20.

If so, this is a really cool feature since I can setup the deck to record for hours and not worry about P2 cards. We have Focus FS-100's but those have given us several problems. Besides, this shoot will last for over 3 hours.

Please advise!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Can the AG-HPG20 Record Directly to USB Hard Drive?
on May 25, 2010 at 4:18:32 pm

Hmm you mean live capture directly to hard drive? I'd kinda doubt it. I'd suggest renting a Nanoflash or an AJA Ki Pro instead. Must faster workflow. If you're not using P2 cards the HPG20 doesn't make much sense.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Nick Marques
on May 25, 2010 at 6:25:06 pm

Thanks for the input. I would prefer a device that records to DVCPRO HD or AVC-Intra.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 25, 2010 at 6:52:45 pm

Firestore then. The HPG20 cannot record to the hard drive via usb.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 25, 2010 at 10:32:32 pm

If you were planning on renting a HPG20, why don't you just rent P2 cards?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Nick Marques
on May 25, 2010 at 11:34:45 pm

It might come to P2 cards. I don't want my shooters to manage the cards. We've had too many of them screw it up. Sounds pretty hard to mess up, but when they aren't using them daily and haven't had "training" on them, anything can go wrong. I liked the HPG20 since the TD can jockey media as necessary and the camera guys can focus on the shots.

We've had several FS-100s crap out on us during shoots. Some just randomly powered off (with charged batteries), some (especially rented ones) have had hard disks flake out. Firewire cables don't lock, and we've had our share of camera guys knock the out during shooting and not realize it for a half hour. We do live event shooting, so we can't go back and reshoot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]