FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 and HDD Partitioning

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Chojnacki
P2 and HDD Partitioning
on May 24, 2010 at 7:24:22 pm

I'm in a situation and after taking some time too look around for some help (and none found), I've decided to turn to you.

We've shot a ton of footage over multiple P2 cards, archiving straight to an extrenal hard drive using a Panasonic portable player/recorder. The player/recorder formats the HDD and makes a new partition for each P2 card. We want to edit using one hard drive. The hard drive we have is big enough (2TB) but it's not letting us create anymore partitions. My first question would be how do I (if at all) create more partitions. I don't think it can be done. My second question, is that with so many P2 cards worth of media, even if we do archive to, then edit from, two hard drives, will the computer we're editing on recognize that many partitions?

We could archive our P2 media by just dragging the media (and folder structure) to the hard drive without letting the card reader format it. But I originally figured that Panasonic formats and archives P2 media in a certian way for a good reason. Thoughts anyone?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: P2 and HDD Partitioning
on May 24, 2010 at 8:50:33 pm

This is pretty simple. On your big hard drive make and name a folder for each P2 card - you don't need a partition. Then copy the entire P2 card structure (Contents folder and Lastclip.txt file) from your partitioned drive into its folder on the big drive. Voila! You're done.

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: P2 and HDD Partitioning
on May 25, 2010 at 5:08:03 am

Yeah nobody partitions any more- not needed.

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved