FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raylight question

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Stephens
Raylight question
on May 24, 2010 at 7:16:44 pm

I mentioned to a client last week that we could deliver our HVX200 files in MXF or Quicktime on her hard drive...... and then I thought about what I said...

I have noticed that our Raylight scans and places a little Quicktime file next to our MXF video files... I usually do all my own edits and I have Raylight on all my macs so it never occurred to me that her other editor might need Raylight to play back Quicktime/mxf files. I do not have a non Raylight mac to test. Would this be true or does the MXF with the Raylight quicktime play back on a non Raylight mac?

Are there any other quick-affordable methods for delivering the MXF's as quicktime to this client.

Her editor is also FCP, He must have a really old version FCP to be requesting quicktimes.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Raylight question
on May 24, 2010 at 8:58:26 pm

You can't just give her the Raylight-produced QT files. They act something like reference video files. The only solution I can think of would be to use FCP to L&T the MXF files to QTs, and as long as she had the appropriate codecs on her machine, she'd be able to use them. It's possible Raylight can export QTs, but I don't know. Another idea is to use a program like ProxyMill, but that costs. If you do this a lot, I'd invest in it.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on May 25, 2010 at 8:35:01 am

You could copy the MXF Contents folder onto the client's drive, then run Raylight to create the reference QT movies on that same drive. The movies should work in any quicktime aware software that can understand DVCPro / DVCProHD or whatever you shot in.

However - since the QT movies are reference files and directly using the MXF media, you can't move the Contents folder or rename the drive or anything that will cause the movies to lose their link to the footage.

So... it might be safer just to Log & Transfer the clips like suggested above, or do something similar like use your Raylight clips in Quicktime Pro to save out self-contained .mov files.

-Adam

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 31, 2010 at 6:50:50 am

Hey guys,

I did the research, didn't want to.... but yep I have Raylight 720p24n playing on any Intel Mac.

The trick is to make sure Raylight places its proxy Quicktime MXF wrap in the same folder as the MXF files. Then transfer the folder.

The files will play on any intel Quicktime Pro enabled Mac that has six DVCpro files in the Library>Quicktime folder. Normally Final Cut Pro will place these DVCpro component files in the Quicktime folder. To make the files play on a non FCP system just grab the the DVCpro files from your FCP Mac and add them to the non FCP Mac. Works great on intel... Still doing the math on Power PC.

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]