FORUMS: list search recent posts

naming clips

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerret Warner
naming clips
on May 22, 2010 at 1:11:17 pm

I have a new project for which I need to name clips with descriptive titles rather than Panasonic's numbering system, while--at the same time--ensuring that my FCP project will allow me to reconnect sometime in the future. MXF4mac sounds like a solution but it costs too much.

Is there an alternative? If I simply rename clips names in Log and Transfer those names won't be in the Metadata of the MXF file. Will they reconnect once I've trashed my Quicktime files?

I've tested P2CMS by ingesting MXF files, renaming user clip names in "metadata upload" by all that does is create text files to save with the card? The new data doesn't show up in either P2CMS or in FCP?

Hope someone's got a suggestion besides MXF4mac.

Thanks

GW

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: naming clips
on May 22, 2010 at 2:20:23 pm

Just rename them in your FCP bins- use one of the alternate logging columns and you won't break anything.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on May 22, 2010 at 6:29:35 pm

Thanks for the tip, Noah, but my new names will be in the FCP project only, not saved to the MXF files, true?

(Also, for the record, I thought that you could rename P2 files names in the name column because Panasonic has a longer numeric file that maintains the identity beyond the default numeric name that comes in via Log and transfer... or did I dream this?

Thanks again,

GW

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Noah Kadner
on May 22, 2010 at 8:00:25 pm

Thanks for the tip, Noah, but my new names will be in the FCP project only, not saved to the MXF files, true?

That is correct. If you rename the actual media you'll break media management- don't do it. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 23, 2010 at 2:40:31 am

P2CMS will rename user clip name files and save it back to the XML, but the process is very long, slow and boring. Right click on a clip and choose property from the drop down, then modify the user clip name. You have to do each clip, one at a time. It can be arduous.

I know you don't want to hear this, but P2 Flow from MXF4mac is the most elegant way of doing this. It is not the cheapest software, but it gets it done very well. It will pay for itself over time saved with one or two jobs, no doubt. Batch naming and auto numbering is possible.

Here's a down and dirty sample I made of P2Flow/MXF Import and how fast it works with P2 MXF media:

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/p2-flow-example

I had both AVC-I 100 and DVCPro HD in this project.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on May 23, 2010 at 1:51:58 pm

Thanks Noah and Jeremy,

You've confirmed my experience. P2CMS is free but it's almost indecipherable... and slow.

Is P2 Flow all I need to rename user clips without breaking the connection between MXF and FCP and to edit MXF files directly without creating QT files? Going to MXF4mac's site made me wonder whether you need MXF Capture as well.

GW

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Jeremy Garchow
on May 23, 2010 at 2:32:09 pm

You don't need Capture.

I recommend getting the P2Flow and MXF Import bundle. P2Flow edits metadata, MXF Import allows the previwing of files and subsequent import to FCP. You can wrtie and ask for a demo.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Shane Ross
on May 24, 2010 at 1:23:07 am

You can rename the clips in the L&T interface, or import them and rename the clips, and then use the RENAME feature to rename the media files to match the clips. FCP will STILL be able to relink to the original MXF files and reimport if the media is lost. Because the 32 character GLOBAL ID number that is embedded in the metadata is carried over to the QT file.

I have tested this...renaming, deleting the media, reimporting. Works fine. Pretty flawless really. Slicker than Avid really.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 24, 2010 at 1:52:34 am

Yeah, that works too, but all that user clip name data then lives in the FCP project only.

Using p2 flow, all the metadata stays with the MXF media for ever.

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on May 24, 2010 at 12:05:53 pm

As I thought, Shane.

Thanks

GW

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on May 24, 2010 at 12:13:01 pm

It looks as if MXF import allows you to edit MXF inside FCP without taking up hard drive space with Quicktimes in Capture Scratch. Does it work?

GW

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 24, 2010 at 12:21:53 pm

We use it across 4 machines all day every day.

It is the best thing that has happened to the FCP P2 workflow.

It works extremely well.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 24, 2010 at 1:37:41 pm

[Gerret Warner] "It looks as if MXF import allows you to edit MXF inside FCP without taking up hard drive space with Quicktimes in Capture Scratch. Does it work? "

Yet you need to put the MXF files on the Capture Scratch...because you don't want to be editing the originals, right? They take up the same amount of space. Unless we are talking about AVCIntra. The reason for editing native is not the amount of space it takes, or the copy/convert time...you still have to copy to the capture drive. It is all about access to the metadata.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 24, 2010 at 7:47:14 pm

Yes, you just work off the copied mxf files. It's much easier to keep track of and archive.

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on May 25, 2010 at 3:26:13 pm

Finally it all makes some sense. Thanks again to you both.

GW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]