FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback of P2 media wonky?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gorrie
Playback of P2 media wonky?
on May 17, 2010 at 5:02:41 pm

I really never have this many issues - but this job is really killing me!

For some reason, all the media I am playing back has a 5-6 delay. I'll drop the footage in the timeline and hit play, and I get a pause, beach ball for a few seconds, then it plays fine. This also happens If I load the clip in the viewer.

Footage is 720p24N (kept native DVCPro Codec) on a settings matched timeline. Timeline is set to Safe RT and Dynamic/Dynamic for playback setting, with audio waveforms turned off!

Our system is a dual 2.8Quad Mac Pro w/10GB of RAM - so plenty of horsepower there...and the drives are plenty fast (16 drive array stripped raid-0).

Am I really missing something simple here? I can play back the media just fine on my macbook pro system running off of a firewire 800 drive!

-on a similar note the importing has gone awry as well, imports take FOREVER and fail often now. They were lightning quick the other day with the same type of media

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Playback of P2 media wonky?
on May 17, 2010 at 5:56:12 pm

Those to problems can be a problem with your drives, doesn't matter how many drives you have, they can be failing or that the PCI card or mother board there is a problem.

For trouble shooting
- Does this happen on older projects?
- What about projects with a different codec?
- Do you have a FW800 drive you can copy some footage to and test it, also log and transfer some P2 cards to this new drive.
- Transcode some of the clips to ProRes and test it in a new project.

This will help determine if it is a drive, system issue or a codec issue.

[Dave Gorrie] "Timeline is set to Safe RT and Dynamic/Dynamic for playback setting, with audio waveforms turned off! "
Because of this I'm assuming that you are using FCP, but you never state that.

Return to posts index

Dave Gorrie
on May 17, 2010 at 6:19:58 pm

Hmm, interesting - I checked the drive speed and it did seem a little low (we usually get around 300-400 MB/s on them) and it came out really wonky, drive started in fits and starts for some reason. Other projects seemed to be fine in ProRes. I might double check my raid cards...I don't know why I didn't think of that before! This is why I love the cow :) Other smart folks that aren't me!

I'll let you know how it does,
Dave

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 17, 2010 at 6:27:40 pm

It is always easier to trouble others problems. When it is your's your brain can get turn off.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]