FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX-200A, MP3 recording w/time code

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Donald
HVX-200A, MP3 recording w/time code
on May 14, 2010 at 4:36:32 pm

Is it possible to make an MP-3 recording with time code while shooting with an HVX-200A? A client has requested MP3 recording w/time code while shooting w/the 200A. I know I can synch the time code of a HVX-200A to another camera using 1394 but I'm not sure if i can extract and isolate the time code to be included w/an MP3 recording

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HVX-200A, MP3 recording w/time code
on May 14, 2010 at 4:58:50 pm

Huh? Why would they want highly compressed audio when you're already capturing high quality uncompressed audio linked with timecode. If they really want MP3 audio it can be extracted from the footage.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Bill Donald
on May 14, 2010 at 5:31:25 pm

The client wants the MP3 files w/ time code to be sent to a transcription service. It needsto be done quickly. Is there another method to send audio only w/ time code so it can be transcriped?

Return to posts index

Dale West
on May 14, 2010 at 6:46:54 pm

Bill
Not up to speed with the 200a but IF it has a time code out then it can be done. If not
then no. Unless you can set your 200a's time code to something like time of day and then use
a lock it box or some other device to drive time code into the recorder. It won't be frame accurate but close. Or you can try to have the interviews done realtime by the transcription service again setting your
camera time code to time of day according the service's clock then having them do it live. The cost
is higher but thats about the best you can do.

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-892-1201

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 14, 2010 at 7:44:07 pm

The HVX doesn't send timecode out unfortunately. The quickest way would be load each clip into FCP (or whatever your NLE is), then run out AIF (or WAV from a PC editor) from FCP and then convert that to MP3 in another utility. That or shoot with another camera that can be jam synced to another timecode source... Surely they can wait the extra hour or so it would take to download the P2 and output MP3.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Bill Donald
on May 14, 2010 at 8:07:07 pm

Unfortunately the event is in one city, the client is in a different city and wants to start a paper edit. My preference would be to use a better camera. Thank you to everyone for their posts.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 14, 2010 at 9:24:29 pm

ah if they don't need it literally the second you shoot just run off MP3s from your clips on a laptop. It won't take any time and you can email everything before going home for the day. Anything else would be a lot more costly and save you maybe an hour...

Noah

Return to posts index

Bill Donald
on May 14, 2010 at 11:47:48 pm

Noah, your idea sounds interesting but I have no idea how to transfer the audio and time code from a clip. My workflow on location does not include FCP. I use a Mac Book Pro w/ Duel adaptor and Lacie rugged hard drive. I drag and drop folders to two separate drives and use PCMS to verify. Is it possible to drag and drop the audio file frm the contents folder to an MP3 recorder mounted on my laptop?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 15, 2010 at 12:54:24 am

Yeah you could open those files and extract audio with any of the MXF import plugins for QuickTime such as:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp

http://mxf4mac.com/index.php/mxf-import.html

Though personally I'd highly recommend some sort of FCP install on your portable system or you're kinda shooting blind there.

Noah

Return to posts index

Dale West
on May 15, 2010 at 12:54:59 pm

Most transcription houses that I've dealt with require mp3s with time code on the left channel
and the sound on the right. Their systems read the TC track and with some magic key stroke they
can insert the time code into the transcript. Again I'm totally ignorant of the post process and its something Im working on getting better at but in the end they just need that.

In the field I use either a Zoom H4 or ederol R9 and put the TC directly into the left track and the output of the mixer into the right track or I use a Peter Engh box that takes TC and Audio into it and it conforms into a stereo
mini and put that into my mp3 device.

And again if its really rush rush we do a live feed, set our time code to the transcription houses time and use a getner box and phone it in. Using that system the producers have literally had the transcript in their email before we finished breaking down.

I think a call to the transcription house might be in order as well. They have probably seen it all

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-892-1201

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 15, 2010 at 4:55:22 pm

Yeah except the HVX200 doesn't output audible timecode...

Noah

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 15, 2010 at 8:53:32 pm

ProxyMill from Imagine Products.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 16, 2010 at 7:45:38 am

I was scrolling through this and wondering WHEN Proxymill was going to be mentioned. Steve hit the nail on the head. Proxymill makes QT movies with burned in code, in the background as you back up the P2 cards.

And MP3s are AUDIO files. You want MP4...that's video.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 16, 2010 at 6:11:19 pm

Yeah I was assuming he meant MP3 audio- otherwise wow what a waste of time this thread was! :)

Noah

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 17, 2010 at 1:07:47 am

[Shane Ross] "I was scrolling through this and wondering WHEN Proxymill was going to be mentioned. Steve hit the nail on the head. Proxymill makes QT movies with burned in code, in the background as you back up the P2 cards."

When you have the right tools, it makes your life so much easier. I use it all the time for client reviews.

The new versions of ProxyMill and ShotPut Pro are available now.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dale West
on May 16, 2010 at 11:55:02 am

Bill
Has this interview taken place yet?
Can you contact me off list?
curious how it went
thanks

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-588-2683
dale@dalewestvideo.tv

Return to posts index

greg sucharew
on Aug 7, 2010 at 1:05:00 pm

Is there a way to take video files, pull their audio and timecode tracks and package them nicely in an mp3 file together using only software?

Greg Sucharew
gregsucharew@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]