FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPG20 as an SD device?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Peacock
HPG20 as an SD device?
on May 13, 2010 at 3:50:32 pm

I am interested in updating both my HPG20 and HPX500, using downloadable updates.

Can the HPG20 itself be used as a SD card reader device? If so, this would enable the downloads to be transferred directly to it via the SD card.

I've managed to get the device seen as a drive on the MacBook Pro desktop (via USB), but what would the next step be?

Grant.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HPG20 as an SD device?
on May 13, 2010 at 4:55:32 pm

Huh- does it have an SD card slot?

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Grant Peacock
on May 13, 2010 at 5:10:39 pm

Yes, Noah, it does have the SD slot. I have it loaded now. It sits right above the 2 P2 slots.

Grant.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 13, 2010 at 5:21:15 pm

I'm guessing it's not hooked up to the USB port so you wouldn't be able to say use it to mount as SD on a desktop. But I don't have one of those units sitting in front of me so...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Grant Peacock
on May 14, 2010 at 11:57:48 am

Thanks again Noah. It's quite possible that all the information I need on this is located right here in my office. I keep coming back to the idea that we're way past 'the old days' of using one or 2 pieces of analogue gear, knowing them in detail and being able to really work them to their potential.

I still struggle to navigate the new terrain!

And now back to a FCP 'refresher' in anticipation of a Saturday edit.

Grant.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on May 13, 2010 at 5:37:50 pm

Hi,

I do not believe you can write to that slot from the computer but I have never tried it. The process goes like this. Download using your Mac the Zipped files from the update site. The unzip those files to the formatted SD card. Insert the SD card into the camera in question and use the operation menu to get to the Update choice.

Hope that helps,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HPX300, HPX170, HVX200A
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 13, 2010 at 5:45:01 pm

Yeah I mean- wow that's a $5,000 SD card reader vs. the $10 ones you can get at any Best Buy. :)

Noah

Return to posts index

Grant Peacock
on May 13, 2010 at 10:36:24 pm

Excellent Jan, thank you - and update now complete (I went out and added a dedicated card reader).

This process creates a follow on question - on the HPX-500, at the end of the updating process, the last line of the message says 'Make new upgrade SD for another version upgrade'

I THINK this means that future firmware upgrades will require a freshly formatted and prepared SD card. Is that your understanding? I found the message to be somewhat ambiguous. I couldn't help wondering if there is another round of updates to be done as part of this current cycle...

Grant.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 14, 2010 at 1:04:45 am

I suspect it just means- do you want to format another SD for updating. But of course that won't be needed until you actually have a new firmware to load in. Camera menus are logical but not always easy to talk to.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]