FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downrez of HVX200 footage to match DVX100b footage in post.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Ungar
Downrez of HVX200 footage to match DVX100b footage in post.
on May 6, 2010 at 1:33:57 am

I recently shot a project with the HVX200 (1080i/24p), but have to do some re-shoots and only have a DVX100b available. What is my best way to try to get the footage to match as best as possible? I'm hoping there is a down-convert possibility that may work: ie. compressor, mpeg streamclip...anything? FYI: Unfortunately, I do not have an anamorphic adapter for my DVX00b either.

Thanks,
Brad

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Downrez of HVX200 footage to match DVX100b footage in post.
on May 6, 2010 at 4:36:44 am

Why not rent an HVX200- we're talking $150/day max. Surely your overall project is worth that isn't it? Otherwise yeah that footage will stick out like a sore thumb- especially as it's SD/480 in 4:3 vs. 1080p/16:9. Yikes.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Brad Ungar
on May 6, 2010 at 5:11:29 am

It's a no budget pitch video at work. Borrowed a camera for the shoot originally, but don't think I can get hold of it again for re-shoots. If I spend the $150 work wouldn't cover it, and I ain't eating that cash for them.

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on May 6, 2010 at 7:01:11 am

I believe the DVX should have presets similar to the '200 - try to get the image settings as close as possible, and of course shoot 24p.

To downconvert your 1080 footage I'd use Compressor... ProRes422 at 720x480 Anamorphic, 29.97 fps. You say your HD footage is 24p, so I'm assuming that's 24p over 60i (and not 24pA) and should match the DVX100's frame rate.

There will certainly be differences to the look, but that should get you closer.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 7, 2010 at 3:49:59 pm

Make sure you shoot 24pA (if you shoot 1080/24pA, so you will at least be working in the same frame rate.

Then the question is to what extent is this footage going to be used? Just some pickup and a few additional scenes? or a whole bunch? Personally I would probably shoot in squeeze mode so you get a 16:9 video, it is an electronic upscaling in the camera to get this so it is not the best but it is better than what FCP/compressor can do. You got a major compromise going on here so there is no right or wrong answer, mostly just less wrong answers but Noah had the right answer, spend the money but understand the position you are in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]