FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Import Glitch

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benny Christensen
P2 Import Glitch
on May 3, 2010 at 7:08:28 pm

I am having the above mentioned Log & Transfer glitches appear in clips and I'm not sure what is the culprit.

I'm using FCP 7.0.2 for the Log & Transfer.

They occur when using Log & Transfer on footage either from the original P2 cards or when using ShotPut to move them to a drive prior to Log & Transfer.

The glitches appear in several, but not all of the clips, and I think most of them happen at about 25 frames into the clip. I haven't been able to pin down if it related to the shooting format, audio tracks selected, etc.

I went back and tried to use P2LogPro and found that the clips themselves were not corrupt, just the import through Log & Transfer.

Here is a link to the corrupt frame - http://producersplayhouse.com/download/P2Sample.pct

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a magic formula for a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Benny Christensen
Producers Playhouse
Oklahoma City, OK

G5 Dual 2 Gig - 10.4.2 - 4 Gb RAM - FCP 5.02 - KONA2 - ATTO UL4D - HUGE 320RX - Convergent Designs SD-Connect

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 Import Glitch
on May 3, 2010 at 10:06:03 pm

Play those clips in the camera...see those same things in the camera?

I have seen this before...dirty connections were the culprit. Your P2 bays might have dirt or dust, or the cards do, so not all of the connections are making it. Thus why the footage is messed up only in spots, and not full hits over the image. Use canned air to clean the bays and the cards.

Bad news is that this is recorded permanently on the footage...meaning that you need to reshoot. Just as if you had a bad hair in the gate (shooting film), or shot the entire film through the BASE of the film, not the emulsion (also film...and I did that. BAD Shane....)

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Benny Christensen
on May 3, 2010 at 10:17:32 pm

Actually, that's the thing... it is NOT RECORDED IN THE FOOTAGE.

I have used other methods to export the clips from the same Contents Folders (P2LogPro) and the glitch is not there.

I believe that it is related to either 1) Changing the number of audio tracks during the Log & Transfer process or 2) it is a bug in a mismatch between versions of FCP and the P2 camera/card software or 3) some other mystery component I have yet to track down.

Thanks,

Benny Christensen
Producers Playhouse
Oklahoma City, OK

Intel Octo Mac FCP 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 3, 2010 at 10:20:34 pm

The other thing that causes this, it has been reported, is the MacOS writing files onto the P2 card. Because it does this with ANY drive device you attach. ANd this can mess up the media...as you see. The solution is that you need to LOCK the cards...protect them...before you mount them on the computer. This will also help prevent disaster when a computer crashes (see a couple posts below).

THe footage is fine, as you see. You just need to use other means to get it, for that card. In the future..protect!

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on May 4, 2010 at 4:25:37 am

I have had the exact same thing happen before.
In the end we worked it was how we had daisy chained the drives and card reader. The card reader has to be on a separate bus, not daisy chained to an external drive.
Hope this helps.
Matthew.

Return to posts index

Benny Christensen
on May 4, 2010 at 2:34:13 pm

In this case the footage was coming in from the cards in the camera (firewire Bus) to hard drives via an ATTO UltraSCSI card. So that couldn't have been it.

I used ShotPutPro to copy the cards onto a hard drive and used P2CMS and P2LogPro to export clips that had the glitches to my Terrablock drives and there weren't glitches in the clips exported this way.

I believe there is an issue between Log & Transfer and the P2 cards firmware/software versions.

Benny Christensen
Producers Playhouse
Oklahoma City, OK

2 x 3GHZ Quad Core Intel Xeon - 10.5.8 - 16Gb RAM - FCP 7.02 - KONA3 - ATTO UL4D - 2 x HUGE 320RX - Facilis Terrablock 12D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]