FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX300 low light performance

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Keyes
HPX300 low light performance
on May 1, 2010 at 7:29:56 pm

Hi guys,

Curious about the 300's low light performance. I've used an old Canon XL1 forever and rent an HVX200 when I need to...

How does the 300's low light compare to the 200?

Also, how much better is the 370's low light w/ the new ULT and whatnot?

(I shoot a wedding every once in a while, and that's the only reason I'm considering the 370, cause weddings are inevitable DAAAARK. :)

I'm reading lots of conflicting reports, anyone w/ 1st hand experience care to share your thoughts?

Thanks!

Adam Keyes

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: HPX300 low light performance
on May 2, 2010 at 2:25:36 am

You definitely need some kind of light to shoot any type of video. A little light goes a long way. The 300 is better than the 200, about the same as the 200A and the 370 is better than the 300.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Adam Keyes
on May 2, 2010 at 2:42:18 am

thanks Steve,

just wanting to get a better idea of HOW MUCH better the 370 is than the 300...? and i suppose my main problem is that the tech specs of saying "measured at F10" or whatever, though i know what an F stop is, i don't really know how to compare based on those measurements...

so i guess i'm really wondering if the 370's low light shooting is $2-$3000 better, or if it's just a LITTLE bit better, and not really justifying the extra cost compared to the 300.

thanks,

adam

Return to posts index

Mark Shepherd
on May 2, 2010 at 3:09:38 pm

I tested the 370 at NAB and found the low light performance was much better than the 300, and that you could actually use the gain up to at least 9db with great picture quality. The 300 camera was very noisy even with 0db outdoors. There was a lot of noise in the shadows and operators were advised to shoot at -3db ever outdoors which is unheard of. The 370, with its new chipset seems to be a great improvement.

Return to posts index

Adam Keyes
on May 3, 2010 at 2:17:03 am

Thanks Mark,

Yeah I've read similar complaints about the 300...I had seen several comments similar to that and most people wondered if they had a faulty camera, though I never really saw any follow ups to those comments, so maybe that's just how the 300 is...in which case, what the hell??? how can a $10k camera require -3db outdoors? something's not right.... ?

i'm really torn now about getting the 300 or the 370 (i'm seeing about a $3k price difference b/t a gently used 300 and a new 370, i haven't seen any used 370's).

Thanks for the insight though!

Adam

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on May 3, 2010 at 4:52:44 am

Hey Adam,

I will be selling my 300 with 260 hours on it probably in late May. Tremendous savings for you. Email me if interested at:

ned@nedmiller.com

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
http://www.bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]