FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Location Capture

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe perri
P2 Location Capture
on Apr 25, 2010 at 10:12:17 pm

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the P2 workflow so im learning as i go.

Heres my situation, I'm sending my 2 partners out to Kentucky for a shoot. They will be supplied with an hvx-200 (plus necessary accessories), 32GB P2 Card, 1TB Hard Drive and a MacBook Pro (does not have final cut). Since we are only using one 32GB P2 card, we are limited to 80 mins of video. How can they transfer the P2 file information to a hard drive, this way they can reuse the card on location and log and transfer all the footage in final cut when they get back. What is the proper workflow to do this?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: P2 Location Capture
on Apr 25, 2010 at 10:43:13 pm

There's a post two below yours which explains how to do it.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 26, 2010 at 12:12:53 pm

[joe perri] "I'm fairly new to the P2 workflow so im learning as i go."
Not a good game plan. You are going to make a costly mistake flying by the seat of your pants. Learn the workflow before going out on a paid shoot.

[joe perri] "we are only using one 32GB P2 card, we are limited to 80 mins of video"
Again, going out on a shoot with only one P2 card you are asking for trouble. Rent a second or a third P2 card.

Repeat, get yourself and your partners educated on the P2 workflow.

Better yet, hire a crew that has P2 experience. It might save you money in the long run.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
on Apr 26, 2010 at 9:52:09 pm

I have to chime in on this one. I am in full agreement with Steve. Too many people think they can just figure it out as they go. They assume that since the cost of the gear is minimal it must be as easy to use as a home video camera, just point and shoot. Suppose you were shooting 16 or 35 mm film. Would you hire a camera assistant or a loader who had no experience and was just going to figure it out once they start shooting? I wouldn't. Why should this be any different? If done incorrectly you have the potential of losing an entire shoot with the touch of a button. If you place such a small value on your project then go for it.

Return to posts index

Will Lyons
on May 4, 2010 at 1:31:53 pm

While I agree you should always test things out, I'll give you some useful advice.
If you don't have a card reader device for your laptop, read in the manual about connecting the camera to a computer via the USB cord. I've found the USB offload to be faster than the Firewire on my macbook pro for whatever reason, I guess USB 2.0 is faster than FW400. Anyways, copy the ENTIRE contents of your P2 Card into a folder on your external hard drive named something like "p2_4_20_2010_quickdescription." Only copy the contents of one card to one folder, as the structure is important. Then, later, when you want to import into FCP, you can do import Panasonic P2 or Log and Transfer and just mount that folder as a P2 card and import the footage.
It's actually really easy, just be sure to copy all the contents of the P2 card and maintain the file structure. Just open the card, called "NO NAME" in finder and select all, and copy. And, you should always back up your files.
To empty your card after copying the files, put it back in the camera, go to MCR/playback mode or whatever it's called, hit menu, operation, format, and format whatever slot the card is in. that'll erase it. All this is clearly outlined in the manual if you have any questions. Good luck in Kentucky, that place is gold!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 5, 2010 at 5:53:29 pm

I'd add one thing to Will's excellent step-by-step. Compare the folder size on your hard drive to the size of the P2 card you just copied. They should be the same (Sometimes they vary slightly due to the different formatting of Mac and P2 drives). Also, I always play back a few seconds of each clip on the hard drive before formatting the P2 - just to be absolutely sure everything's okay. Remember, the data IS your show. Be careful with it. BTW there are excellent programs like Shotput P2 that semi-automate the off-loading of P2 cards and do a byte-by-byte verification. I use it all the time.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]