FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Field Transfer Info

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernie Santella
P2 Field Transfer Info
on Apr 24, 2010 at 4:43:27 pm

Can anyone point me to some links where I can get a complete workflow explanation of how to property transfer P2 cards from a Panny HPX-500 camera to my Mac laptop and backup drives for daily storage.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 Field Transfer Info
on Apr 24, 2010 at 7:22:15 pm

It's fairly easy.

Connect some sort of P2 reader to you laptop. If you have a Powerbook G4, or other PC laptop with built in PCMCIA slot...all the better. If not, then MacBook Pro running leopard with Duel Systems Adapter (Not snow leopard, support was dropped for SL) or with the new Panasonic USB P2 reader, or with P2 gear.

Take the card out of the camera

Flip the record tab to PROTECT. Macs will try to alter the directory and that can (not always) cause problems.

Insert the card into the computer, or USB reader.

Copy the entire contents off the card. If you are doing this manually, create new folders with unique names (this will end up being the REEL number) and copy the entire contents and lastclip.txt file in there. OR...use offloading software like ShotPut P2 that automates this process, and does a file check as it offloads.

Eject the card.

Insert the next one.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Apr 24, 2010 at 11:18:56 pm

Shane, Thank you for the quick response.

I'm just a bit nervous. I've been shooting DVCProHD tape for years now as well as used a Focus FS100. But, this is my first time shooting on a P2 based camera. I've done some research and there seems to be some that say DO NOT just copy the files like you've outlined (Contents and lastclip.txt file) And to only use the Panny P2CMS program. (Way too many opinions) I really trust your judgment.

I've downloaded that program, but it's very confusing to make sure I do it right the 1st time. I don't have a lot of time to test that workflow.

So, to be clear using your process... I am using the camera as a card-reader FW transfer unit. I just connect that to my MacPro (OSX10.6) Make all connections before powering them up, then copy the files from my (Protected) P2 cards to my external USB2.0 HD (again, contents and lastclip.txt file) into separate folders for each day. Then, should I repeat to my 2nd HD for B/U from the camera or just copy from HD to HD?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Apr 24, 2010 at 11:48:49 pm

The last thing to do in this process is use P2CMS (or FCP) to open the copied files and make sure they are definitely readable and useable.
USB transfer is quite slow, so make sure allow time for this to happen.
As far as making a BUP copy of the transferred files, you can simply do a drag and drop of the folder though this is doing it in a manner that you are trying to avoid, namely an unverified copy.
I use "Personal Back Up (Intego)" as a software tool for copying large folders, it verifies the contents of the source 1st, copies, then verifies the copy location.

Shotput is terrific for this very reason as it will manage P2 (and many other sources like SxS, SD, SDHC, CF.....even other volumes.) transfer to 3 separate locations at once.

To use P2CMS, direct the source finder to the P2 card you wish to unload, wait for P2CMS to load all the clips. This can take a few moments. When all the clips are loaded, and this is the important bit, select all the clips (if using MAC "command A"), then select File/Export (or "command E:) and follow the prompts to select your export location and verification type. Then initiate.

Matthew.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 25, 2010 at 3:50:56 pm

What Ernie said. Plus, P2CMS confuses the heck out of me, so I avoid it. SHotput Pro is the best way. But I have also just dragged and dropped without much issue. I just get paranoid after hearing about other people and the problems they have had. I like to feel secure with my transfers.

USB 2 is faster to me that firewire, because we connect the camera/device to the computer via USB, then connect a firewire drive. Two separate busses, instead of two firewire devices sharing the same bus.

Shane

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Apr 25, 2010 at 5:37:21 pm

Anyone have experience with the Panasonic HPX300? It has the ability to just plug a USB2.0 drive directly into the camera for Card-to-HD transfer. I'm thinking of just buying this camera for a 2nd camera.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 25, 2010 at 6:46:03 pm

HPX-500 does the same thing. You are offloading blindly. There is no verification.

Panasonic just released the HPX-370. Much improved over the 300. You can't miss the add just above.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 26, 2010 at 2:05:33 am

The HVX-200 and the HPX-170 also do this. It is a standard P2 thing...

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:20:50 pm

I'm a big believer in Shotput PRO as well. We have a PCD20 5-card reader for our HPX2700 which has FireWire 800 and USB 2.0. I bought a Sonnet Express Card to 2)FW800 adapter which gives me a second FW800 bus. So, if needed, I can go USB out of the P2 reader to three
HDD's using FW800, or FW800 out of the P2 reader to two HDD's using FW800.

I've been using ShotPut PRO for XDCAM EX and Pro Res from KiPro as well. Additionally, Proxymill is useful for making low res. proxies with TC window burns at the same time I'm doing data transfer with ShotPut PRO. We used to have an HDX900 and FireStores. I would never go back after using the P2 workflow, first with our HPX170, now with our HPX2700.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Apr 26, 2010 at 10:25:04 pm

Jeff Regan,

Can you save to two drives at the same time with ShotPut Pro thus saving time?

- Does the camera have to be on a separate bus? (i.e. USB 2.0 for a Panny HPX300)
- Can the two separate Hard drives be on the same bus (FW 800)

Any suggestions as what would be the faster way to read the P2 cards into my Mac? I will be on location, so I thought the camera would work, but who makes a reader that works?

Lastly, I'm assuming since the drives on my FW800 bus, I can't have the card reader on that bus also correct???

Thanks!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Apr 26, 2010 at 10:58:31 pm

Ernie,

Yes, you can transfer up to three drives simultaneously with ShotPut PRO.

Camera and drives can be on the same bus, many loop drives. I like to use separate buses when possible.

I have a Mac G4 with PCMCIA slot, MacBook Pro with Duel Adapter(buggy, unstable) for Express Card slot or Panasonic PCD20 external 5-card reader. I recommend you look at the new Panasonic PCD2 single card USB 3.0 reader for $350. You don't want to task the camera with doing data transfer. Also, if you have a computer with Express Card slot, consider the $100 Sonnet Express Card to 2)FW 800 adapter.

None of these methods is very fast. Ditto the new Sonnet QIO reader. The new PCD2 could be fast with a computer that has USB 3.0, I don't know. The fastest of all is the Panasonic PCD35 PCIe
5-card reader, if you have a desktop with PCIe slot. Hard to drag a tower along to location, of course.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Apr 26, 2010 at 11:15:26 pm

Thanks Jeff for all the info. I'm getting a better grasp of what to do. Any reason I can't use the camera for the card reader? I'm only renting the camera for this project, not purchasing a system right now.

Return to posts index

Mark Phelan
on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:55:29 pm

Great information guys. Really. When you say slow. How slow for a 64gig card using P2 gear with Shotput Pro two two drives?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]