FORUMS: list search recent posts

PowerBook G4 OS

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Lyons
PowerBook G4 OS
on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:38:27 pm

My brother passed on an old PowerBook G4 to me to use as a P2 offload device. The problem is, he had a linux OS installed on the computer. I've tried to put OS 10.5.5 on from a Macbook install disc to no avail, I'm assuming because the discs came with an intel mac and this is powerpc. So, I'm going to try and buy an older OS, should I go 10.3, 10.4, or 10.5? From researching on the net, sounds like I need to find an original retail version so it will work with the power pc processor. Is it sketchy to buy these off eBay? Anywhere else I might be able to find one? Any ideas? He probably has the discs somewhere, but seeing as he bought the computer in 2006 and has moved several times since then, not sure how easy they would be to locate. Plus, if they're anywhere, they're probably in my parent's attic 6 hours away from me buried under insulation dust and mouse turds.
Thanks!
Will

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: PowerBook G4 OS
on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:46:52 pm

MacOS 10.5 (Leopard) works fine on that machine. But you need the actual OS disk, you can't use the install disk designed for an Intel. Different drivers and such are loaded. You can also use Tiger if you have it (10.4). Both work well.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Will Lyons
on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:52:57 pm

Any idea of a reliable source to buy a copy? They're on eBay but I'm skeptical they may be stolen, not work, etc...

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 24, 2010 at 2:40:49 am

Replace the hard drive in the Power Book and instal 10.5.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 24, 2010 at 3:46:28 am

NO need to replace the entire hard drive. Just reformat it with the install disk. I don't know where to find them new. Gotta google that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]