FORUMS: list search recent posts

Netbook for P2 transfer

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nick szpara
Netbook for P2 transfer
on Apr 14, 2010 at 6:51:10 pm

Curious to see if any one is using a cheap netbook to transfer p2 cards on set. The new panasonic p2 slot reader uses 2 USB's to interface, so I was considering getting a netbook basically just as a pass-through to an external drive. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: Netbook for P2 transfer
on Apr 15, 2010 at 2:34:12 am

The new Panasonic reader, while I am glad that it exists, is pretty slow in comparison to other solutions. For the cost of a netbook and the Panasonic reader, you can buy a brand new PC laptop with a built-in slot that will handle the P2 cards or you can buy a used PowerBook for about the same, which is to say hundreds less than a netbook and the USB reader. One piece versus two pieces, less cost and faster. Why would anyone want to use a more expensive and slower solution?

*Edit - I stand corrected! See Helmut Kobler's first hands-on test of the PCD-2 at NAB it is pretty fast. Much faster than any previous P2 devices I have tested are. He downloaded an 8GB R Series full card in 3:26. Pretty much 2GBpm, which is faster than the Sonnet QIO and on par with my G4 PB. I don't know how Panasonic is doing it but this is great news!

I still stand by my assertion though that a netbook and the Panasonic reader combined are still more expensive than a PC laptop or a used G4 PB though.

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved