FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200A - p2 cards, transfer issues?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan Hughes
HVX200A - p2 cards, transfer issues?
on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:59:21 am

I'm just about to purchase a Panasonic HVX200A when I heard there were some issues surrounding the E series P2 card. I've been reading they've solved the problem with them (in regards to transfering over to a PC) and others have mentioned it's still buggy because it's a relatively new device.

I just bought a new PC, dual quad core, 8gig ram, very nice video card, it's jazzed up pretty well. Will I need any other device besides the camcorder to transfer to my computer? Will it capture well with Avid? Or does it come with it's own software to capture to the PC.

Can I capture footage from the HVX200A in .mov's so Avid will be able to take it right in? Or would I need to squeeze it into another format.

Pretty basic questions, but they've put a little bit of doubt into my head before shelling out all the dough for this puppy. Pretty much, if I buy this camera with a 32g card, would there be any other costs to perform basic functions of shooting>transfering>editing?

Thanks to all who reply.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HVX200A - p2 cards, transfer issues?
on Apr 8, 2010 at 2:23:57 pm

I wouldn't recommend the camera as a transfer device- it's very slow and it ties up the camera from being able to continue shooting. Instead get one of the numerous P2 transfer devices- Panasonic makes a single card reader and multi card readers. Sonnet makes a reader. Also you can simply buy a cheap PC laptop with a PCMCIA reader for the same purpose.

AJ-PCD2GPJ- Single-slot P2 Memory Card Drive:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?display...

Sonnet P2 Reader:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/qio.html

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Paul Brubacher
Re: HVX200A - p2 cards, transfer issues?
on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:04:32 am

No you shouldn't need anything else, however you will be limited with only one card and having to use it to transfer. I have been using a camera for about a year, but we now have the 5 card reader for ingest, much better. Why not get the 170 and two cards. If you are shooting HD with one 32gig you are looking at 30-40 min of record time. Avid will play native P2 files so that is not an issue. I have even edited right of the camera (SD) and output back to tape. Needed a fast edit for a show.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]