FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duel does not mount P2 cards on MBP 15" w/ 10.5.5 / 2 GB

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
Duel does not mount P2 cards on MBP 15" w/ 10.5.5 / 2 GB
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:41:46 am

Hi guys,

Just offloaded one of my 16 GB P2 cards, using HD Log / ShotPut Pro. Worked as a charm.
Then I unmounted the P2 card and inserted another P2 card. No show...

I've shut down the MBP, watied 15 mins, restarted, connected my USB and FW offload disk, plugged the Duel in and waitied some more and then plugged my P2 card in. Still no go...

The MBP is 15", running 10.5.5. Any tips/workarounds are greatly appreciated. Never had any prolblems before, except that you need to be sure to drag the P2 card to the Trash and nut just pulling out out of the P2 - then you'll have to restart the computer.

I'm in a bit of panic here - there's a shoot this afternoon and I need to offload and clear the P2 cards before then.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Duel does not mount P2 cards on MBP 15" w/ 10.5.5 / 2 GB
on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:02:38 pm

Search the forum a little- maybe you'll find some useful info. The Duel is notoriously finicky and their tech support bites.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:38:56 pm

And the 10th (or so) time we re-started and plugged the Duel in, the P2 card mounted just fine. Although i had to format one of the cards that gave and error in the camera. Fortunately, the card was empty...

Might go for the Qio E-34, it's half the price of Pannys gear, and much more versatile.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:14:10 pm

Panny has a new USB device coming out, it will be around $350 but it will be slow transfer compared to the Duel (when the Duel works).

- Our software is idiot-proof, if you bought it it proves you are an idiot. - Dilbert

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:14:52 pm

Yeah the Qio looks pretty solid.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Apr 6, 2010 at 11:44:00 pm

You are not alone Niklas, my MBP does the same thing, it occasionally reads a P2 card with the Duel. When I used to use Tiger, it worked perfectly. Switched to Leopard and the Duel went bye bye. I would not bother putting more time and effort into trying to make the Duel work, Duel has suspended writing drivers and Apple has stopped worrying about supporting devices like the Duel since the new MBPs don't even have an ExpressCard 34 slot, other than the 17".

I would suggest buying a used PB or a cheap PC laptop over the new USB reader as the reader will probably be really slow. I am glad that they are making it but it will probably be too slow for my needs (I think 1GB per minute is the estimate?). I get better than 2.2 GB per minute with my PB.

Enjoy,

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Apr 7, 2010 at 6:31:05 am

Dan,

The Qio-E34 comes with PCIe adapter for Expresscard/34. However, my feeling is that this slot on my MBP 15" is not at all that stable that you have with USB or FW.
Since it's eSATA, I guess the speed would at least not be slower than the Duel.

The disadvantage is that the Qio requires external power, where the Duel is bus-powered. You have already too much gear to carry along on location. :-)

The idea of buying a used MacBook has crossed my mind. However, the ads I've found so far does not show if the computer does have this PCMCIA slot. What model should I look for? And I guess I'll have to run Tiger on that machine, since all iBooks are PPCs...?

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Apr 7, 2010 at 3:22:03 pm

Hi:

It is not the that the slot on the MBPs is unstable. I have other ExpressCard 34 devices (multiple FW output card and a CF reader) and they both work fine. It is the lack of development of drivers from Apple and Duel why the Duel does not work consistently under Leopard and at all under Snow Leopard.

Tests have shown that the QIO is considerably slower than the Duel. The last batch of tests I saw posted were all obtaining about 1.5GBps while I easily obtained 2.3GBps with the Duel and with my PB G4.

You cannot buy a used MB or MBP. You would buy a used PB G4. They sell for between $300.00 and $500.00. Or buy a new PC laptop, there are plenty of cheap ones for around the same price that still have the PCMCIA slot.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]