FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200A Excessive Noise

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cardwell
HVX200A Excessive Noise
on Apr 2, 2010 at 9:17:11 pm

I just got the HVX200a and I've been shooting quite a bit of test footage with it. One thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a lot of noise or grain in the images. I read some other threads on here that said it may be due to underexposure. I did several exposure tests and still there was noticeable grain, although it is MUCH less when properly exposed. It is especially noticeable anytime there is a color gradient (like falloff from a light) captured in the image. The image looks as if the gain is on or something like that.

Also, it is much more noticeable indoors. I set up a basic 3 point lighting plot and sat someone in there, and for the most part, the image is fine, but there was a mild reflection of one of the lights in a mac monitor, which created a gradient, and that part was noisy. In addition, when I look at the captured files in QT, they look more noisy than they do in FCP and are even artifacting in some places. Outdoor shots look amazing.

I have checked all of the settings I know of, but I suspect that there may be one really simple one I am missing. The camera had one previous owner, so I'm not sure what settings they may have adjusted.

Any help or advisement would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
Re: HVX200A Excessive Noise
on Apr 2, 2010 at 9:33:47 pm

Try using different gammas, the film gammas are noisier than the video HD types. Reduce detail or at bring up coring a couple of points. Make sure chroma isn't boosted above zero. Master ped can be reduced as long as you're not crushing blacks. If you feel interiors are noisier, although properly exposed, try shooting with daylight balanced lighting and doing preset or white balance for 5600K vs. 3200.
Panasonic cameras are designed for 3200K, so this should not be necessary, but worth a try.

There is no question that Panasonic cameras are noisy in some situations. I have a 170, had an HDX900 and have an HPX2700. Even the 2700 is noisy at times. I tend to shoot at -3db when possible with the 2/3" cameras.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Michael Cardwell
Re: HVX200A Excessive Noise
on Apr 4, 2010 at 6:56:27 pm

Thanks for your help. Iplayed with and adjusted those settings and it did minimize the noise. I really appreciate you getting back to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]