FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200A 080P Slow Mo Best Technique?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rosh kadri
HVX200A 080P Slow Mo Best Technique?
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:22:06 am

Hello everyone,

I have shot my feature at 1080P 24PA, im wondering what the best technique would be to slow down the footage without side fx please.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: HVX200A 080P Slow Mo Best Technique?
on Apr 2, 2010 at 12:58:06 pm

Wait -- do you mean you're only now considering how to do slo-mo, AFTER the footage has already been shot? And you want to use NO third-party plugins?

You could have gotten some great ideas on how to shoot excellent slo-mo had you asked this before shooting began.

Perhaps you ought to read what I often post on the After Effects forum. With a tip of the hat to the COW's Shane Ross for the idea, here it is:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 3, 2010 at 7:43:26 pm

I think he needs to clarify what "no side fx please" means. I took that as without any quality loss. Which is the same as asking how do I remove that train sound in the background from audio.

The the answer to that is how within Dave's answer, cheapest way with that camera, you shoot it at 720p24pN and then shoot the slow-mo in camera.

After the fact is is much tougher without serious software and hardware. Cheapest thing to try is Motion with Optical Flow turned on (FCP7 has this option build in so you can try that) This is very time consuming renders.

- Our software is idiot-proof, if you bought it it proves you are an idiot. - Dilbert

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Apr 3, 2010 at 10:08:25 pm

is Twixtor still available?

Return to posts index

rosh kadri
on Apr 5, 2010 at 8:55:24 am

Points are taken minus the idiot part as most pros started as idiots.
Anyways, i considered the format before shooting and wanted more res in the 1080P mode, the DP suggested shooting at 60P but after we shot a few slow motion shots.

I've seen wonderful footage slowed down, i will check out twixtor.

But this idiot shot a backup plan, and asked myself the question on set, that if the "slow mo" wont look good, then to use plan B in which we shoot alternate shots that still have an impact without being slowed down.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]