FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Workflow and Cinema Tools

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Montgomery
P2 Workflow and Cinema Tools
on Apr 2, 2010 at 3:06:23 am

I'm used to shooting everything with the Sony EX-1 and recently have picked up the HVX and am determined to switch over to that as my primary camera since seeing what it's capable of from other videos. Also discovered Cinema Tools as part of FCP and have started reading through that manual. My question is how important is Cinema Tools to a P2 workflow? I realize it comes into play if you want to over or undercrank 1080p or 720p footage without changing speed settings to the clip in the timeline.

So what does everybody use Cinema Tools for specifically? Because I'd like to know just how essential it is that I learn how to use it. It seems like a clip logging program with the ability to change playback settings and other clip properties, as well as somehow organize clip information for offline editing.

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2 Workflow and Cinema Tools
on Apr 2, 2010 at 3:21:55 pm

With an HVX, Cinema Tools probably won't come in to play if you shoot 720p and use the Native mode (24pN, 30pN, etc).

If you shoot 1080i/24p (that's 24p with normal 3;2 pulldown) Cinema Tools can remove the pulldown for you, but Compressor can as well and it's a bit more automagic.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Nicholas Montgomery
on Apr 2, 2010 at 8:28:08 pm

What about over/undercranking in 720p?
Or how about editing a project shot in two different formats?

I'm trying to figure out what benefits can be had with Cinema Tools, or maybe I shouldn't bother trying to learn how to use it right now.

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 3, 2010 at 4:54:19 am

All that is done in Log and Transfer, Also if you use 1080i24pA, the pulldown is removed with Log and Transfer. I have never used Cinema Tools once. If you set the camera up correctly you will not need to use it. IMO.

- Our software is idiot-proof, if you bought it it proves you are an idiot. - Dilbert

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 5, 2010 at 2:39:47 pm

[Michael Sacci] "If you set the camera up correctly you will not need to use it. IMO."

That's usually true. I agree.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:18:35 pm

Of course that is a big IF.

- Our software is idiot-proof, if you bought it it proves you are an idiot. - Dilbert

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:34:39 pm

[Michael Sacci] "Of course that is a big IF. "

Is that what she said? or not so much? ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]