FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid and P2

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Ross
Avid and P2
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:13:00 pm

I'm gonna cross post this on the Avid forum too, so please pardon me...

Here I am on a show that is editing on an Avid. Every scrap of it shot with P2. The HVX-200 and the HPX 3000 cameras. When I started, they were using Avid 2.7.7, and occasionally some shots would just go offline...gone. Then they'd need to reimport, as deleting the databases and rebuilding didn't find them, nor did the Media Manager. This was a problem, so I suggested that they upgrade to Avid 4.0.5, as it is more robust with P2, and has AMA for future stuff. They were sold and did the upgrade.

Well, the problem hasn't gone away. Files still go offline without notice. NOTE: We are using (2) USB drives to store this footage. A Seagate and a LaCie (I know...not my decision), and USB works well for playback, surprisingly. But, footage goes missing. I wonder if it is the drives.

But what REALLY irks me, is the so called "superior Avid media management." It isn't so superior when it comes to P2. One BIG thing, is that imported files HAVE NO REEL NAME! SO if files go offline, I can't trace back to the card and reimport. We have to search the logs to figure this out. FCP...no problem, the P2 card dump folder is the name of the REEL, so reimporting is a SNAP.

So, why am I writing? OH, yeah...anyone know how to track back to what card this footage came from? Or what might be the cause of it going offline?

Thank you,

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Avid and P2
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:21:31 pm

Not sure how Avid works, but every MXF files should have a global clip ID, can you access that information in AVID? If so search for it and it should point you to the file.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:25:29 pm

There is no heading in the Avid for GLOBAL CLIP ID. Even if I had that, how would I then search that in the P2 card dumps?

Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:32:57 pm

OK, in the MEDIA TOOL, the clip shows up in YELLOW, as if it were an AMA clip, but the odd thing is that the duration says 8 hours. And when I try to load it, I get EXCEPTION: THE SEQUENCE OR ONE OF IT'S SOURCE ELEMENTS IS TOO LONG TO BE PLAYED. It isn't a sequence, it is a clip.

Reveal file shows the files in the 1 folder, but...how do I reimport that? Are they just corrupt? How do I find out what card it came from?

Avid is WEAK with P2...sorry...

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:36:28 pm

[Shane Ross] "Even if I had that, how would I then search that in the P2 card dumps? "

If you are on a mac, it should show up in spotlight as that info is stored in the XML. Do you even have an MXF number?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]