FORUMS: list search recent posts

P-2 footage / 8 channel audio

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david bliley
P-2 footage / 8 channel audio
on Mar 24, 2010 at 10:35:03 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for a question like this, if not, please forgive me.

I've been getting P-2 footage with 8 channels of audio and wondering how most people utilize/deal with it. The other guys here just take the 1st 2 channels, throw away the rest and boost the levels of those two channels. The thing is, it's looks to me like some of the other channels are actually STRONGER than channels 1 & 2. I've actually been wondering if the best way to handle these is to combine them somehow into the 2 channels I need. It seems that would be the best way to keep ALL of the information.

Anyway, I'm just wondering:

1. why is it split to begin with?

2. how do most of you handle this?

FWIW, the other guy here says they are just mirrored copies of each channel, but to me it's easy to see that they are actually different.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

david

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P-2 footage / 8 channel audio
on Mar 25, 2010 at 12:51:21 am

MIght be that 4 channels are different and the other 4 are repeats. That'd be channel 1&2 to be separate micrphones and 3/4 to be camera mic.

This would be easy to check. Then simply just add the channels you need to your timeline.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: P-2 footage / 8 channel audio
on Mar 25, 2010 at 3:14:33 pm

Our HPX500 records 4 channels of audio. We set chs 3 & 4 3db lower than 1 & 2 to protect against clipping. Each is a discrete channel and could be totally different content. I just finished an edit where I chose to use chs 3 & 4 when I transferred, since 1 & 2 were a little hot and might clip. Do what works best for you. I suggest you transfer one clip and listen to the chs you transferred play back in mono. That way you can make sure the chs are in phase and not canceling each other.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]