FORUMS: list search recent posts

420/30p via Log & Transfer reads in FCP as interlaced, fast fix?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
420/30p via Log & Transfer reads in FCP as interlaced, fast fix?
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:15:26 pm

Don't shoot it very often at all, but just noticed that 420/30p via Log & Transfer reads in FCP as interlaced footage. Shows artifacts in Canvas. If I go into clip properties & change to None (interlacing) and re-edit the clip into timeline, it shows as progressive.

**BUT**, I can't find any way to do change properties of more than one clip at a time! And no options on Log & Trans for this.

Thoughts on how not to spend a morning clicking on clip properties?

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
http://www.CoolNewMedia.net
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 420/30p via Log & Transfer reads in FCP as interlaced, fast fix?
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:41:41 pm

That's fine- the progressive/interlaced settings for 30p clips really doesn't matter so there's no reason to go back and reset step by step. 30p can't be made unprogressive easily. What's important are the sequence settings because anything newly rendered will be either interlaced or progressive according to that setting.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:53:30 pm

I have to disagree Noah, and only because I watched it happen yesterday. I had some 480/30p clips, and saw some artifacting on hair that made me think "it shouldn't look interlaced - this is progressive". Checked clip properties, changed it to None. Realized I needed to overwrite the clip in the timeline with the changed master clip. Artifacting went away. This was without changing the timeline settings (progressive) and each time a render was done (had some small scaling/crop going on). So simply rendering it in a progressive timeline wasn't enough - the master clip needed it's attributes edited as well.

Unless I misunderstand whatchu ees sayin'.

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
http://www.CoolNewMedia.net
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 23, 2010 at 1:59:33 pm

Of course anything you re-render is going to change according to your settings. But when you capture progressive 30p you are still basically capturing a 60i DV stream. It just happens to be composed of progressive frames that you can't unprogress without rendering.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Mar 23, 2010 at 2:22:48 pm

Ummmm.... you lost me, sorry. What I'm saying is that the clips must have their interlacing properties changed before editing into the timeline in order for them to display properly - that the timeline settings alone aren't enough to properly work with the clips. And there's no method I can find for altering multiple clips' properties (which could take a long time).

Yea/nay?

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
got it, thanks Andy Mees!
on Mar 23, 2010 at 2:28:10 pm

Andy reminded me of what I already knew (but it seeped out of my leaky brain):

Put your FCP Browser window into List View then scroll across till you see the Field Dominance column ... select all the clip you want to change in one go then right click on one of the selection and change it to the desired value ... all the selected clips will change accordingly

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]