FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing P2 to FCP via Edius

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Fedigan
Importing P2 to FCP via Edius
on Mar 21, 2010 at 10:40:08 pm

Hey guys, kind of an awkward question for the creativecow.net public. I work for a news station and we primarily use P2 for our cameras, and since most of our in-house stuff is Grass Valley - we use Edius to edit.

I have a brand spanking new Imac and have been aching to edit some of my stories on FCP. The only problem is that I can't really take my gear home to use the firewire to transfer my raw, so what I did initially was imported it to Edius at work, then copy the entire project file (obviously including the P2 folder) to an external hard drive, which is formatted to NTSC.

The first time I attempted this, worked no problem. Installed the Panasonic P2 Drivers, went into FCP, File > Import > Panasonic P2. Imported the raw P2 footage of a completed package I shot, and worked fine. I had all my raw in the bins I wanted to, labeled as I wanted to etc.

But I recently tried repeating the same process except this time, when I log the raw that I want to import, I go to "Add Selection to Que" and the status bar that is directly under neath that, doesn't move. After about 15 seconds, the status icon turns from a "processing" icon to a red exclamation point, and when scrolled over it, it reads, "Error: No Data." I repeated this process with the same raw that had worked perfectly with the package I mentioned before. That raw also has the same issue.

Is there a step I'm missing? A file I'm forgetting? A setting I forgot to tweak? I could swear I'm attempting to import the same way I did the first successful time. I know my means of obtaining the raw is a little out there, but I can't afford my own personal card reader nor do I think I would have the time to run home with my camera and directly connect to it. Thanks guys/ladies.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Importing P2 to FCP via Edius
on Mar 22, 2010 at 1:33:56 pm

Doesn't Edius work directly with the MXF files? Those aren't importable into FCP without an MXF translation plugin such as DVFilm or Calibrated MXF.

http://www.dvfilm.com/raylight/

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp

In general FCP and Edius are not compatible. I'd suggest you take the P2 original files from the camera and ingest that directly. Or just work at work or bring your iMac to work so you can do FCP on the clock. I mean they aren't paying you OT to take your work home are they?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jeff Fedigan
Re: Importing P2 to FCP via Edius
on Mar 22, 2010 at 3:59:50 pm

Thanks for responding Noah. Funny thing was I completely forgot that I had downloaded but didn't install calibrated mxf. I installed it but still having the same problem. I did notice something last night when I was scouring the google for some answers.

I have actually done it successfully a few days ago with different footage than what I'm attempting to import now. I could swear the import panasonic p2 menu was completely different when I did it the first time, than it is now.

The first time I successfully imported P2 clips I used Shane Ross's video, "Importing P2 into FCP: Apple Final Cut Pro Video Tutorial". The P2 menu I had was the same as Shane's.

However, now, with the UNsuccessful attempts, my "Import P2 Clips" menu looks more like Shane Ross's video, " How to import Panasonic P2 footage into Final Cut Pro 6 | How to".

I'm almost 100% sure I didn't update anything but clearly something must've been updated from Shane's 1st video (at least 1st one I mention) to the menu shown in Shane's 2nd video. Perhaps this problem has risen from an update?

J.F.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]