FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lens Adapter for HVX-200

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Scarpino
Lens Adapter for HVX-200
on Mar 18, 2010 at 7:32:37 pm

Greetings all,

We're a corporate outfit, but doing increasing amount of "public eye" content for the web, in-store HDTV displays and even broadcast.

We have an HVX-200 and we're ready to dive into some kind of lens adapter for better DOF control. We're really interested in kick'n this up a notch (as it were) so expense may not be our prime consideration.

What do people think of this adapter?

http://www.pstechnik.de/en/digitalfilm-mini35-converter.php

Any other setup that people are using?

Thanks!

Tim

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Lens Adapter for HVX-200
on Mar 18, 2010 at 9:50:50 pm

The P+S Technik is generally considered the best adapter money can buy. It will cost you more than the HVX you are using it with; plus lenses, rods, etc... The Letus Ultimate is a less expensive option in the $4,500 range. The best low-budget adapter is probably the Redrock Micro M2 Encore at around $2,000.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Hunter Mossman
on Mar 18, 2010 at 10:29:18 pm

I'd go with the Letus. Put the left over money towards some nice glass. I'm personally not impressed with the Redrock's build and quality. I've used the Letus on many productions and have been very happy with the results.

Hunter Mossman
Director of Photography
http://www.huntermossman.com

Return to posts index

Tim Scarpino
on Mar 19, 2010 at 9:05:09 pm

Thanks for the info. We are seriously looking at the Letus.

If you'll indulge me, I have a couple of more questions.

The idea of the adapter is to take an existing 35mm film/SLR camera lens and "put it" on the front of the HVX using the adapter, right?

I'm fairly ignorant of this, so I'm wondering if anyone has a good primer on the kinds of lense that one might use?

Any advice (and links) would be GREATLY appreciated!

Tim

Tim Scarpino

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 20, 2010 at 12:26:27 am

[Tim Scarpino] "The idea of the adapter is to take an existing 35mm film/SLR camera lens and "put it" on the front of the HVX using the adapter, right?

I'm fairly ignorant of this, so I'm wondering if anyone has a good primer on the kinds of lense that one might use?

Any advice (and links) would be GREATLY appreciated!"

It pretty much comes down to how much money you want to spend on lenses. When you buy the adapter, you pick the lens mount that will mate with the type of lenses you are going to use. On the least expensive end, you can get your adapter with a Nikon mount and pick up some very affordable ($150–$250) used, manual Nikkor lenses. That's what I did and result looks great. On the high end, you get a PL mount with your adapter and spend a boatload of money on some true cine lenses. Will it look better than the Nikkors? Yes. Is it worth the cost? That all depends on what you and your clients "need". Don't forget to budget for a rail support system, follow focus and mattebox w/filters. If you want to go handheld, you'll want a shoulder mount system and an external monitor to mount on the rails. Redrock Micro has a lot of that stuff and their price/performance ratio is high. I have their follow focus.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Matthew Harris
on Mar 27, 2010 at 10:50:46 pm

Tim I have a used, mint condition Letus Extreme lens adapter that I am selling for $1500. I think it's $2000 brand new. Let me know if you are interested.

Matt Harris
310 721 4877

Matt Harris
Director
310 721 4877
http://www.soulstudio7.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]