FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX300P Grain and noise, Noise and grain

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Earls
HVX300P Grain and noise, Noise and grain
on Mar 18, 2010 at 1:14:30 am

I can't get this rig to eliminate grain and noise. I've tried several scene files, and variations on my own with no luck. There seems to be a overlay or haze of grain on everything I shoot. Low light, bright stuff doesn't matter. I did the 9.34 software update - no help. The best way I've been able to come to a good image is to crank the detail all the way down, and the coring all the way up. I've read all of the posts here about this issue and tried many things and can't get an acceptable image. I ready to send it back to my retailer.

Could someone post a good all around set-up for this camera?

Thanks in advance.
Mark Earls

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
Re: HVX300P Grain and noise, Noise and grain
on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:10:42 pm

Hi:

I have been using the 300 with the low gain set at -3 and have not experienced any grain, noise or any of the issues that you have described ... of course, boosting the gain will tend to induce varying degrees of noise. In addition, some of the scene files have a tendency to produce more noise.

Return to posts index

Mark Earls
on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:49:43 pm

Thanks Ronald.

Yes - I run at -3 gain. Have been for years on my other camera. I tried several scene files, stock set-up, plus my own variations, etc - all with the same result. I even recorded a black clip with iris closed and it was still there. I could see the noise in the waveform. Totally unacceptable.

Anyway - an UPDATE ! I didn't give up, and I think I may have solved the problem. Trial and error method of recording clips of a well lit shot and manipulated all aspects of the various menu options contained in the scene file menu.

When I turned the 3 detail options (level, V level and coring) to OFF - that is -7 all the noise disappeared - all of it. If I turn any of those 3 settings above -7 I get noise. WOW - camera looks great. Even has some nice depth of field. I then explored all the various gamma and matrix settings - nice - all of them. Picked the one I like and away we go.

Side note, although this may be related to my problem or just a symptom of this camera - the Master Ped adjustment is useless. This camera crushes blacks. I set it to +15 and just barely moved the black above zero. Set my gamma to HD norm to move it up a bit. The high gamma setting looked nice too.

So, I'd like to get some better detail control out of the rig but just as soon as I add detail - it's a mess.

Just my .02 and worth about as much.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:34:24 pm

Glad that you have arrived at a resolution but I have not experienced those issues to the extent that you've described and wonder if your scenes are exposed properly and if so, could there be a problem with your camera? BTW, I am using the latest Firmware as well but had no significant noise issues with 9.30.

Return to posts index

Mark Earls
on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:36:05 pm

Update - I did a run & gun shoot yesterday. The footage was ok - not great (still some noise) but ok. Talked to my local reseller today. They want that camera back in their shop. They'll re-set it and take a close look. They are confident that they'll be able to spot a problem if it exists and fix it. Important to note also - they said that Panasonic HQ is keeping a very close eye on the service records and warranty repairs of these units.

So, updates on this issue to follow next week. Stay tuned.

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Mar 19, 2010 at 5:17:37 pm

Thank you for the update. I would be interested to hear how it turns out. When the cam was first released there were similar complaints but subsequent firmware updates seemed to have largely resolved the issue, and as I have stated, I have not noticed it but I make an effort to assure that my scenes are well lit. I've heard from others that underexposure has been responsible for increased noise for them.
I hope they manage to correct the situation to your satisfaction.

Return to posts index

Mark Earls
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:03:52 pm

THIS WEEKS UPDATE - Just dropped the camera off at the retailer. They wanted to shoot a side by side comparison with their demo unit. At first, they didn't understand what noise I was talking about. They understand NOW! Their demo was actually WORSE than my camera. They'll be calling Panasonic today.

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:55:58 pm

With all of the setting variations that you have apparently tried, I would suggest taking the camera back to the retailer to try comparing it with another 300 or, absent that possibility, with another owner's camera. While the camera does have a tendency to produce noise in low light, underexposed scenarios and with elevated gain, on a good broadcast quality HD monitor a well lit shot viewed through my aging eyes does not seem to reveal any objectionable noise. You might take a gander at some of the HPX300 video posts on Vimeo to see if any of them mimic your problem. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]