FORUMS: list search recent posts

I got my Sonnet QIO Card Reader

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan DiCerb
I got my Sonnet QIO Card Reader
on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:10:46 pm

What do you know??? It worked!!!! I installed the drivers, plugged it in and I'm up and running!!!

I am dumping a P2 card now and I plugged in a second card and NO kernel attack!!!!

My Duel Adapter now has it's permanent home in the trash can.

Thank you Sonnet for finally giving me a way to import quickly without using my camera.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: I got my Sonnet QIO Card Reader
on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:19:13 pm

How fast is it? What machine are you on? Do you have drives attached as well?

Return to posts index

Bryan DiCerb
on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:23:10 pm

Not really sure how to check speed. 31 gig card was going to take est. 21 minutes to transfer to my laptop. I quit dumping though so not sure how long it would have really taken. I'm dumping now to a USB2 drive so not sure if that helps to figure out speed.

Is there a program out there I can do a transfer speed test with?

I don't have a SATA drive to check. That would be pretty sweet if it dumped straight to the SATA without going through the computer.

Computer is a Mac Book Pro 2.33 Core 2.... Several years old running 10.6.2 snow leopard.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:43:06 pm

[Bryan DiCerb] "Is there a program out there I can do a transfer speed test with? "

I was just looking for an informal test like, a full 32GB cards takes xx minutes using xx software to do a verified transfer.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Mar 17, 2010 at 10:24:34 pm

If you use ShotPut Pro, it will tell you how long the offload takes. You can also use the clock on your MBPro.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 17, 2010 at 10:36:14 pm

Thank goodness Duel loses this duel! ;)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:40:10 am

USB2 will slow things done, FW800 should double your download speed and eSata should be even faster than that.

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Mar 18, 2010 at 9:38:49 am

I'm surprised that Sonnett has not had some independant transfer tests done with the QIO, it would put many out of their misery and perhaps lead to sales ?.

cheers
Tom K

olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

Bryan DiCerb
on Mar 18, 2010 at 12:01:37 pm

Yeah... I think we all know that.

I have a firewire 800 here and a full 32 gig card. I just haven't had the time to mess with it. Part of the whole work thing getting in the way of play. I'm sure I'll have a 30 minute render at some point today though.

Return to posts index

Kai-Uwe Bonnke
on Mar 19, 2010 at 8:57:53 am

I have a Sonnet Qio on loan. I have a MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 15".

I have tried different configurations and this is what I experienced.

I have 2 eSATA Hard drives hooked up to the Qio. I have 2 R-Series 32 GB P2 cards in the Qio.

If you transfer 2 P2 Cards at the same time to different Drives, or even the same drive roughly 42 min to transfer both cards. Had a look at the Data transfer speed. A single card gets transfered at 23 MB/s., 22min., As soon as 2 Cards are transferring, it drops down to 10 MB/s., 42 min.

Tried something else. Hooking a FW800 to the Laptop and 1 eSATA drive to the Qio, same deal.

This doesn't make any sense because on the Sonnte Qio page, read perforamnce for 2 P2 cards is speced at 50 MB/s. One card is speced at 25 MB/s, which I came close to, and 2 cards speced at 50 MB/s, I only saw 10 MB/s. Go figure???

I don't know if the E-Series of P2 cards will behave differently. I don't have access to E-Series Cards.

In comparison the Duel Adapter transfers a R-Series 32 GB card in 18 min. Deul Adapter with a FW800 Drive. Transfer speed, hold onto your hat is, 32 MB/s. Guess what I am sticking to. Sad to say, Duel is king. The cash ain't worth it.

Return to posts index

Bryan DiCerb
on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:10:21 pm

Considering that when I finally got my duel to work, it only worked 50% of the time and it crashed my computer the other half, I'll take this guy any day of the week. Personally for me speed isn't anywhere near as important as actually working. When I get the opportunity to mess with it next week, I'll hopefully be able to try and see what speeds I get as well.

How did you measure the data throughput? Is that just with Disk Utility or something?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:13:03 pm

[Kai-Uwe Bonnke] "A single card gets transfered at 23 MB/s., 22min., As soon as 2 Cards are transferring, it drops down to 10 MB/s., 42 min. "

42 minutes for 64Gigs of data?

Return to posts index

Bryan DiCerb
on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:29:29 pm

That's the same as what I got the other day when I posted writing to just the hard drive on the laptop.

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Mar 19, 2010 at 11:54:28 pm

Sounds to me like that's the best the QIO will do, Still if it works it's an improvement on what's out there for the price, But for us poor cousins here downunder, the cost of the Qio compared to say a cheap windows laptop is a no brainer.
Still it will fit nice into many facilities because of the variant of cards it can read, and when/if P2 evolves into something else it will be all academic anyway.

Tom K

olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

Kai-Uwe Bonnke
on Mar 20, 2010 at 8:34:43 am

[Kai-Uwe Bonnke] "A single card gets transfered at 23 MB/s., 22min., As soon as 2 Cards are transferring, it drops down to 10 MB/s., 42 min. "

42 minutes for 64Gigs of data?

Transfering 2 32 GB Cards at the same time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]