FORUMS: list search recent posts

p2 card offload

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Guy
p2 card offload
on Mar 16, 2010 at 7:16:51 am

My p2 is not connecting to my mac book pro when I go to do the usual card offload. My p2 has been taking a beating over the last year, but has always been good to me, and registered when I try connect to my mac.
I have tried a new fire wire cable, gone to a hard drive, gone straight to mac... My 5 cards a full and I was looking for another way to offload these cards? Card readers? another way out of camera?
Mahalo, Joel

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: p2 card offload
on Mar 16, 2010 at 4:55:53 pm

Could be a blown or nearly blown port either on camera or computer. Try on another computer.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Joel Guy
on Mar 16, 2010 at 5:41:58 pm

Thanks Noah. I believe it is the port on camera, as mac is bran new and it reads a multiple of hard drives on port. Is there another way to get info from cards to computer?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 16, 2010 at 7:00:42 pm

Sure- read through this forum and you'll find several alternatives...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Mar 16, 2010 at 10:30:10 pm

Assuming that you're on snow leopard (based on this being a new mac), there really is not a quick and simple way to offload your P2 footage. The duel adapter used to be the best but now with snow leopard that won't work. And regardless, the only MBP with an expresscard port now is the 17" (... thanks apple...).

So here are your alternatives. On the high end of the budget you could get a Panasonic 5 slot card reader that will read through firewire or USB but that will run about two thousand dollars as I'm sure you know.

There are two midrange alternatives that you can consider. If you DO have the 17" MBP and have the expresscard 34 slot, you can get the Sonnett QIO. This will run you a thousand dollars. The other choice would be to purchase a PC laptop with an PCMCIA slot and just offload to an external hard drive through a PC and P2 software. You can get a cheap laptop nowadays anywhere and you don't need anything with any sort of power to it... just the card slot.

The cheapest thing to do you unfortunately can't do now. In April, Panasonic will FINALLY be releasing a single slot, dual USB cable P2 card reader that will work on snow leopard. Based on what I'm hearing from you though, you don't have time to wait until then and I completely understand and sympathize. I think that the nonsense that has gone on with P2 over the last few months is completely unwarranted.

Hope you figure it out!

Best,
Matt

Panasonic HPX170 P
2008 Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
CalDigit VR
Final Cut Pro Studio 3
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:20:32 am

You are going to have to spend money to transfer p2 cards. If people spent money (now you can spend under $1000) you
complain less about the format and get to work. P2 works extremely well, you just need the right tools to do it. Sorry, I'm a little tired of people blaming p2 "nonsense" who are simply too scared to spend another grand or two on something that actually works and was designed by Panasonic to employ p2.

I have never really seen too many complaints about a pcd20 or pcd35 on these forums. No news is good news in that respect. I'm sure the one slot reader will work as well, but if you're going to plop down some money, you might as well get a reader that does more than one card at a time. I have high hopes for the QIO but haven't seen it in action.

For the original poster, you can also try and find a used p2 store on eBay. It can act as a USB card reader that uses the same batteries as the 170/200. It can download 60GBs of material to the unit as well.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:02:21 am

Yeah those PCD readers just work- but they are pricey... Duel Adapter is junk but it's cheap junk. Fast-cheap-good- pick two.

Noah

Return to posts index

Joel Guy
on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:26:24 am

"you can also try and find a used p2 store on eBay" what is a p2 store? Could I get an older powerbook with a card reader on it and use that? or is the pc a better way to go until the single card reader is out.
thanks, joel

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:31:34 pm

Google P2 Store and see what comes up.

Yes you can use a Powerbook with a PCMCIA slot to offload.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:31:53 pm

The p2 store is a one slot reader that also has a 60 gig hard drive in it. It's a little long in the tooth due to the small hard drive, but works just fine as a card reader.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?display...

Return to posts index

Paul Hudson
on Mar 17, 2010 at 2:28:19 pm

I have an older Mac Book with a slot that I keep around to download with.It works great. I also have a Duel Adapter for my MacBook Pro and have never had an issue with it. I guess I must be the lucky one.

Paul Hudson
Lizardlandvideo.com
Phoenix Video Production

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:17:22 pm

Using and old power book with a 54mm slot would work as would an older macbook pro with a duel adapter as long as you are not running snow leopard.

And Jeremy, I think that you misunderstood me when I spoke of "P2 Nonsense." What I meant was basically what Noah said. The duel adapter was cheap and not the best, but it worked. When it came out that it doesn't support snow leopard, everyone who used that adapter had to either choose between spending $2000 or hold off on upgrading to snow leopard. I myself have held off on upgrading and continue to do so until I can get the Panasonic single slot reader or maybe if I can save for it, the Sonnet Qio. But I think that the disregard for everyone who relied on that workflow, when there literally were no alternatives at that price point in the market, was nonsense and caused a lot of issues for a lot of people.

I agree with you though. You shouldn't complain about a format that you chose to purchase and work with. If something goes wrong you do what you need to do and do what you're capable of doing to keep going. That's why I don't run snow leopard. But that doesn't mean that what happened with the duel adapter was any less irritating to a lot of people. But I do love my workflow and I have done nothing but praise panasonic and the p2 workflow on this forum and others. the "nonsense" that i was referring to was about third party issues, not panasonic.

Panasonic HPX170 P
2008 Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
CalDigit VR
Final Cut Pro Studio 3
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

Joe Raymond Cardenas Castro
on Apr 14, 2010 at 5:07:15 am

I live in Cuba so I´ve made a great effort to get a second-hand HVX-200 Panasonic P2 camera. I´ve got a Desktop computer, Dual Core 2.6, 4Gb RAM which is the computer I will use to edit my films. I also have a 1,5 TB hard disk to archive the shot material. Now my question is, could I use a PC laptop Computer which has a PCMCIA slot just to extract and to save that material from the P2 cards and save it in the laptop avoidin the inconvenient to stop shooting by using the camera to extract the shot clips? I´ve asured my self that the card fits in the PCMCIA slot, and it does. Could anybody help me, please?
thanks in advance,
Raymond

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 14, 2010 at 2:49:17 pm

[Joe Raymond Cardenas Castro] "Now my question is, could I use a PC laptop Computer which has a PCMCIA slot just to extract and to save that material from the P2 cards and save it in the laptop avoidin the inconvenient to stop shooting by using the camera to extract the shot clips?"

Yes you can.

Return to posts index

Joe Raymond Cardenas Castro
on Apr 14, 2010 at 4:08:20 pm

Thank you very much Jeremy,
But, could you suggest me the driver to use. I forgot to mention that the laptop is a pentium III, but I just want to use it as a card reader and to trasfer to tha 1,5tb hard drive.
my best regards

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 14, 2010 at 4:27:25 pm

You should be able to find it from this page:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/p2-hd/downloads-and-updates.asp

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]