FORUMS: list search recent posts

300 for action water sports?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Ward
300 for action water sports?
on Mar 11, 2010 at 9:30:55 pm

Anyone use the 300 for action water sports? I'm curious to know how well the CMOS sensors work with the past action AND the water and spray, etc. I'm working on a project that is 720p30. I'd probably shoot the action stuff in 60p so that I can slow everything down 50%. I will be shooting in complete daylight, early mornings and late afternoons, so lighting will be perfect. Low light pickup is NOT a factor for me.

The only other factor I can think of is that most of the program is shot in 720p30 on a panasonic hmc150. Other archive action footage comes from mixed sources: film, film-to-DV transfer, miniDV, etc.

I'm trying to decide if I need the 500. The 300 rents for less money for a 1-week rental than the 500 does.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: 300 for action water sports?
on Mar 11, 2010 at 10:48:06 pm

You sound like a good candidate for the 300. Have you shot with a CMOS imager camera before? All CMOS cameras have some skew, especially when doing fast pans. There are ways to mitigate the skewing, one of which is to shoot in 720. The HPX300 has less skewing that the EX1 in 720, about 15-20% less skewing.

Panasonic has a good video on-line, I am not sure where, it has been a while since I have seen it, that Jan Crittenden had a hand in, that shows how to shoot to minimize skewing.

The HPX shoots beautiful slow motion, which would make your footage look really impressive. I have seen 720 60 frame footage that has been ran through Twixtor to slow it down even more and to do speed ramps. The AVC INTRA100 codec is outstanding, really clean and sharp. Since you are shooting with good lighting, I don't think the noise factor from a 1/3" sensor is going to affect you.

The 300 is a killer deal right now with the rebate, low price and two free 32GB P2 cards. Great camera.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Mar 12, 2010 at 1:31:52 am

But, the skew is exactly what I'm worried about. This is very fast paced water action. Think surfing, snowboarding, and motocross. Doing slow pans and/or lock down shots aren't an option. the sport is wakeboarding, if that helps any.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Mar 12, 2010 at 1:42:00 am

I think you should watch this

and then I would rent one for a day. I would never spend over $5,000.00 on a camera that I had not tried in my shooting situations. It is hard to say if skewing will be a factor in your shooting.

I have shot material with this camera that had a lot of skewing (couple across a busy street, cars zipping by stationary camera at 70mph) and you know what? Nobody said a word about it. Not the client team, not the editor, not the audiences and this piece was shown in a theater, projected onto the big screen no less.

I watch all kinds of cable shows that have tons of skewing, shots out of train windows, helicopter blades, airplane propellers that look bent and like they are barely rotating. Bottom line seems to be that skewing only bothers videographers. It doesn't seem to bother anyone else. I think that there are so many consumer CMOS cameras on the market that audiences are becoming used to it in a way. Sure, we all freak out but the audience? They either don't notice it or it just doesn't bother tham.

If you go CCD, you will have to go with an abbreviated raster camera unless you are willing to spend upwards of $25k. To me, with what you are shooting, having that crisp clarity of AVC INTRA100 with that nice slow motion would trump any slight skewing. But you are going to ghave to try it out on the water to get a fair evaluation. The Sonys skew even more in 720 so they are not a better choice.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]