FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to burn P2 footage straight from camera to DVD?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Ramphal
How to burn P2 footage straight from camera to DVD?
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:50:49 pm

Is this possible? And if not, what's the next fastest way?

I mainly use a traditional work-flow: Offload onto a hard drive, capture clips with FCP and then edit.

I would like, if possible, to skip this process, in certain instances where I don't have any plans to work with the footage. I just want to keep a copy, and I don't have the time or patience (or hard-drive space) to go through the aforementioned process, like with family videos, camera tests, etc.

Return to posts index

Matt Ramphal
Re: How to burn P2 footage straight from camera to DVD?
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:54:09 pm

Maintaining optimal picture quality isn't a top priority either. Just acceptably viewable, like any regular family video, pretty much.

EDIT: I had read this thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/193/879408

It seemed as though the user was trying to learn how to burn DVD's from FCP, although after re-reading it, maybe she's trying to do the same thing I am!?!

If so, sorry for the re-post.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:30:01 pm

Connect the camera to a DVD Recorder via Component, or S-Video, or however you can. Press PLAY in the camera, RECORD on the DVD Recorder.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Ramphal
on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:40:03 pm

And I guess without a DVD Recorder, you need to go the regular route?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:43:50 pm

Yeah that's really the only way. Only a DVD VTR style recorder will take a live signal and make it into a disc. Maybe you should consider getting a camera with less fussy media for the goof off stuff like an HMC40- nice camera, surprisingly good quality and ultra cheap SDHC media you can simply throw in a drawer after shooting.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Matt Ramphal
on Mar 11, 2010 at 12:10:10 am

Thanks guys.

The camera and workflow are perfect for me professionally.

I do use it to sometimes shoot non-work related stuff too...but it's not the main purpose of the camera, so it's all good.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Mar 12, 2010 at 6:38:06 pm

You did not say what computer platform you are on so let's assume Mac OS X Leopard or SnowLeopard.

Let's also say that you are using the cam, P2 reader, or pcmcia slot that mounts the P2 as a disk. You can select Contents and hold the cmd key and select Lastclip.txt. Then right click on Contents while the two are selected and select Burn 2 items to disc. This will burn them to a dvd or whatever as a DATA disc. DATA disc not playable of course in a set top player.

Some similar version of this procedure will work in XP or Win7 I believe but I have not tried it.

Hope that helps,
Robert

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 13, 2010 at 2:37:29 am

[Robert Ober] "This will burn them to a dvd or whatever as a DATA disc. DATA disc not playable of course in a set top player."

DVD-R is 4.2 GB, DVD-DL is max 8.6 or so. So that's half a 16GB P2 card- whose data cannot be reliably split at the Finder level, or 1/4 of a 32 or 1/8 of a 64GB. Seems like a pretty unworkable workflow to me. If you're doing that- just loan out a hard drive. 500GB is less than $100 these days.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:17:15 pm

[Noah Kadner] "DVD-R is 4.2 GB, DVD-DL is max 8.6 or so. So that's half a 16GB P2 card- whose data cannot be reliably split at the Finder level"

That may be a good point. I was going to test this but my old TiBook needs DVD-r and I am out of those in single layer. May try it in a few days.

Take it EZ,
Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]