FORUMS: list search recent posts

.mxf preview unsupported for this format

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Santos
.mxf preview unsupported for this format
on Mar 10, 2010 at 12:02:17 pm

Recently, we hired a team to shoot a 2-Day live event using Panasonic HVX200 cameras shooting DVCPRO720P 30fps. One of our hired camera operators came with his own equipment and when he provided us the footage from his Firestore via a hard drive download, we discovered the following problems in post.

1. LastClip.txt - He did not copy the last clip text files to the hard drive.
2. Combined Folders - Rather than the two separate shoots be self-contained in two separate folders, half of the second day's footage is contained in the folder of the first day.

We were able to recreate the LastClip.txt files and retrieve all the footage from the first day, as well as the 2nd day's footage that was located inside of its own directory. Our problem is we cannot import the 2nd day's footage that is located inside of the 1st days folder. FCP keeps giving us the following error,

"preview unsupported for this format"

After reading several posts citing similar problems, I am more confused than ever. This footage means a great deal to us and we are willing to compensate someone who can give us definitive advice as to how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: .mxf preview unsupported for this format
on Mar 10, 2010 at 3:28:03 pm

Have you tried one of the direct MXF importer plugins- that would fix the problem. And charge the cost of the plugin back to the shooters- they did not archive the footage for you properly.

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp

http://www.dvfilm.com/products.htm

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2010 at 6:11:59 pm

First, the lastclip.txt file is not absolutely necessary.

If you have an odd character (such as a number sign) in the name of the folder that is holding the contents folder, then FCP will give you that warning.

For example, if the folder holding the p2 footage is named "Day #2" then remove the # sign (or any other odd characters...underscores are ok).

If not, then you will need an MXF component as Noah says. I recommend MXF Import from MXF4mac.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Eugene Santos
on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:09:04 pm

First, thanks for the reply. Second, and a bit off topic, thanks for a great instructional video, 24P Digital Post Production with Final Cut Pro and the DVX100. I bought this one a while ago, and it appears I would be wise to invest in the newer title regarding the HVX.

I will take up your advice regarding the importer plug-ins, but I have one more question. In looking through the files, it appears that none of the audio from the problematic footage was transferred to the hard drive. Since I have footage from two other cameras from this shoot, I am not too stressed about this loss as long as I can get the video. My question is do you think the missing audio files will present another hurdle for these plug-ins or would you assume that I can at least retrieve the video files?

Thanks for all.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 11, 2010 at 8:24:15 pm

Is there anyway you can post a screen shot of the what your files look like in the Finder?

Return to posts index

Woody Retherford
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:18:05 pm

The Firestore will not provide last clip info, only the cards do this. Also if the shooter did not use the "organize P2" utility, it will cause these type problems when backed up to HD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]