FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Formatter software not seeing mounted cards

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Mieritz
P2 Formatter software not seeing mounted cards
on Mar 8, 2010 at 5:06:20 am

OK. I had a previous version of P2 formatter software on my Mac laptop (Intel Dual Core 2.4, Leopard 10.5.8, 4 GB memory) and it worked fine for formatting cards after offloading them. I started getting errors with 32GB cards (E series) so I figured it was time to update the software. I downloaded the most recent P2 drivers and loaded them and the newest version of P2 formatter onto the computer. Now when I open P2 formatter it doesn't even see the cards (I tested with a 16 GB regular series that worked previously and the 32 GB E series). The cards are mounting and offloading just fine.

The cards are being read through a Duel adapter, which works fine. I offload with ShotPut but don't want to reformat until I've had a chance to manually take a look at some of the clips to verify.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: P2 Formatter software not seeing mounted cards
on Mar 8, 2010 at 4:03:41 pm

Wait I don't understand- what is the question?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 8, 2010 at 4:26:49 pm

[Craig Mieritz] " I started getting errors with 32GB cards (E series) so I figured it was time to update the software."

What kind of errors?

Return to posts index

Craig Mieritz
on Mar 8, 2010 at 9:00:16 pm

The problem is that when I open the updated formatter software, it does not see any P2 cards (of any size) that are mounted on the desktop. With the previous version I was able to see all cards that were mounted (through the Duel card) and format up to 16 gb cards. With the previous version of the software (1.3 I think) it would see a 32 GB card, allow me to start formatting it and just before the bar would reach the end it would just say that there was an error formatting the card, nothing more specific than that.

Honestly, I just don't understand half of the engrish on Pansaonic's support site. Believe me, I've tried to sort through this myself. I am a little fatigued by Panasonic and everything Mac software related with P2, particularly the support materials online. While 93% of all computers are PC, where I work at least 80% of the machines I see on-set are Mac.I think that this is definitely affecting the perception of Panasonic. The last show I was on the DP, operator, the director and I, all working Panasonic camera owners, agreed that we were pretty tired of dealing with P2.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 8, 2010 at 9:17:44 pm

I don't use the duel so I can't comment on it. I know it has come to mixed reviews.

We have the PCD20 and it works awesomely with the P2 Formatter.

I would start with removing the duel from the equation and use a different card reader. Soon, Panasonic will have a single card reader for $350.

All we have our macs and we love the p2 workflow and quality of AVC-I. Can't be beat if you ask me. I guess to each his own. We have a seen a serious workflow improvement since switching to P2. We can get things done faster than ever and get to cutting creatively right away. We also edit the MXFs natively which hugely speeds up the workflow as there's no transcoding and metadata stays in tact.

The tapeless workflow does require a bit of extra work at the acquisition stage (backups/archives), but it totally saves the work in post. This is true for all tapeless formats. At some point, you still have to transfer the media off of the card to a hard drive.

Return to posts index

Craig Mieritz
on Mar 8, 2010 at 9:53:27 pm

Can anyone please tell me definitively if the issue is related to the fact that I am mounting the P2 cards on the expresscard bus? It doesn't make sense, the previous version of the formatter software worked fine with cards smaller than 32 GB minutes before with the card mounted through the Duel adapter.

Jeremy, the card reader is a great example. It took Panasonic until mid-2010 to come up with a single card reader when their customers were begging for it for years. And it finally comes, and retails for $350, $100 more than the SXS reader? Noah, this isn't about tapeless workflow, I have worked with tapeless for years. I hadn't worked with XD Cam EX for awhile. I went to Sony's website, downloaded some stuff, uninstalled the old software, and it just all worked well (nice full page preview!). I own a Panasonic camera and am still am messing with the workflow and scratching my head about what works with what and puzzling over their support site. Have you found their "device compatbility" chart? And I really don't like the fact that they don't support something simple like a single card reader, but also don't support third-party solutions. Not every show needs a couple thousand dollar reading device.

Love the codecs and love the colorometry. The images on the new Varicams are brilliant. Just would like the company to pay closer attention to their customers and stop trying to always prove that they're "right."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 8, 2010 at 9:59:59 pm

For me, Panasonic just works. I do the same, go to the site (http://www.panasonic.com/p2hd) download some stuff, and away you go. You get a qualified Panasonic card reader and it will take your headaches away. The Duel solution was a very inexpensive solution. You get what you pay for. It is now not even supported in Snow Leopard and is basically dead. Panasonic has done well with the 1 card reader.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Mieritz
on Mar 8, 2010 at 10:09:42 pm

I'm happy you're happy. I am hoping that someone else actually has an answer about my dead, low-budget solution so I can make it through work tomorrow. lol.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]