FORUMS: list search recent posts

missing P2 footage.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Catherine Tyc
missing P2 footage.
on Mar 6, 2010 at 4:57:27 am

Hey there,

I have a question about some missing footage that I discovered during my "Log and Capture" session a couple of days ago.

The last file in one folder cuts off at the very end. After this part was shot, a new card was put in.

In logging, this part of an interview is cut off ad then the proceeding folder starts at the very end of the next part of an interview that was shot. Everything that was shot at the beginning of this new card is nowhere to be found.

Its bizarre because everything was cohesively shot together so its confusing as to where the tail end & beginning of these interviews that partially exist went. I have searched through all the footage to see if maybe it was just misfiled and nothing has come up.

One suggestion was that information could have been lost when the shoot was toggled from one card to the next in the camera. At the beginning of this shoot, one of the P2 cards in the set also kept coming up with error signals but apparently the person we are renting them from had reformatted the card in question and we haven't had the error since.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be very much appreciated as we are still shooting and really need to figure out how to avoid this happening in the future.

Thanks !

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: missing P2 footage.
on Mar 6, 2010 at 5:22:39 pm

In my experience, the only way footage is lost like this is usually human error (unless a hard drive goes kaplooey).

The P2 recording system is extremely robust and files don't just disappear. It is true that sometimes you can screw up a file by ejecting a card while the camera is recording, but even then the footage loss is extremely minimal and can usually be repaired right in the camera.

Sounds to me like either someone thought they had transferred the card and didn't, or, it was inadvertently deleted.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:23:53 pm

Yeah I'm with Jeremy- most P2 footage loss is due to human error. The best way to protect against this are vigorous verification and file handling procedures. Make absolutely certain all footage is completely accounted for before P2 cards are re-used. I'd even suggest carrying enough cards to go a few days without reloading, just to give everyone a chance to be completely caught up.

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 8, 2010 at 10:44:29 pm

In the field we use HD Log to play the front and back of every P2 clip after it's transferred to a mirrored RAID (and a separate single drive) and before the card is reformatted. It's an IT workflow. You can't be too careful.

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved