FORUMS: list search recent posts

New P2 reader

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sacci
New P2 reader
on Mar 5, 2010 at 5:56:48 am

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=1...

I really like Panasonic most of the time but I have to scratch my head on this. Maybe I'm wrong here but this thing is going to be slow. USB 2 is about 1 GB/min transfer. I see that it uses 2 USB connections so unless they are doubling that speed but my thinking they are drawing power from one. I know they were going for the most common port but it at least needs to be FW800. And I'm going to grip about the price. Unfortunately it is pretty much the only sub $1000 thing coming out.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: New P2 reader
on Mar 5, 2010 at 2:07:21 pm

You are pretty much correct. Give me an eSATA reader for $200 and I'd be ecstatic....

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:39:19 pm

Hey, people bitched and moaned for a cheap one card reader from Panasonic and they got it.

Has anyone got their hands on a Qio yet? I am so damn curious.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 5, 2010 at 6:49:24 pm

I don't know if I'd call it bitching and moaning- this was desperately needed...

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 5, 2010 at 7:00:26 pm

[Noah Kadner] "I don't know if I'd call it bitching and moaning"

Anyone who shoots P2 can spend the $2k for the excellent 5 card reader. Seriously.

It's cheaper than a deck.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 5, 2010 at 8:02:59 pm

I don't know anyone who wouldn't rather keep 2 grand in their pocket though... I mean it's a media reader. I like the nice CF card ones that cost $30....

Noah

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Mar 5, 2010 at 8:09:36 pm

I agree with your take on it Michael.

I think the solution is going to be buy two 64 GB cards, shoot all day with them and use the camera to dump the cards after the shoot. I don't like dumping cards while shooting anyway, unless I have a P2 data wrangler on set.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Mar 5, 2010 at 8:40:51 pm

I've got a Mac G4 to read cards for our HPX170(along with the hateful Duel Adapter for client's computers), MacBook Pro with PCD20 5-card reader for our HPX2700. As a rental house, it would be great if the client would pay to rent the PCD20--not likely. We will buy the PCD2 for the HPX170, I'm pretty sure. Even the Qio is a bit pricey for a $4K camera, certainly couldn't justify sending a PCD20 out with a 170 for no extra charge.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 5, 2010 at 8:43:07 pm

The PCD20 is the first step in getting organized with p2.

Also, with multiple p2 camera shoots, a 1 slot reader just can't cut it.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 7, 2010 at 6:36:34 am

For me the speed is even more disappointing then the cost (but I'm with Noah, this is just a card reader, why so much?).

The Sonnet product is really promising. I understand the extra cost there, there are a lot of benefits to it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 8, 2010 at 5:19:57 pm

[Michael Sacci] "but I'm with Noah, this is just a card reader, why so much?"

I don't think it's just a passive card reader. There are drivers that are written along side of it that cost money to make and I'm sure specialized parts/chips inside that also add to the cost. Ever wonder why the duel never really worked? There was never software to take full advantage of it. It's the same with the PCD20, that thing works, and works really really well as it is officially supported by Panasonic and all that comes with that.

As we all know, P2 cards aren't generic, off the shelf media.

Return to posts index

Aideen Johnston
on Mar 13, 2010 at 1:03:11 am

CF card readers at $30?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Mar 6, 2010 at 12:15:04 am

Waiting for an NAB special for the Qio.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bryan DiCerb
on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:16:45 pm

I finally receive mine and it works great. Haven't had a Duel Adapter Kernel Attack yet with it.

I've used both P2 slots, I've renamed, copied and formatted cards.

Comes with a case and several plug adapters for different countries.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:17:35 pm

[Bryan DiCerb] "I finally receive mine and it works great. "

What, the Qio?

Return to posts index

Bryan DiCerb
on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:32:02 pm

Yeah, I replied to you in the other thread.....

Return to posts index

Wolf Austad
io
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:06:05 pm

If the test speed I've heard from this new Panasonic USB 2 reader is correct it will max out the USB 2 port on any Mac, and that is faster than what I've been getting with a PCD20 or a HPG-20 or HPM110 or.....

Sonnet has posted speed numbers for the Qio on their web site. From what I understand those numbers are pretty real. The limitation for P2 apparently being that a standard PCMCIA port can't go any faster with a P2 card, E-series or not. Panasonic uses custom chipsets for their readers, hence why f.ex. a PCD35 is faster. Verification readback should be very fast with the Qio, so it's still possible the Qio could be the fastest solution for P2 download with the current generation Macbook Pro.

Aasulv Wolf Austad, fnf
Director of Photography
Los Angeles based

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]