FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX2700 newbie questions

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
billy earle
HPX2700 newbie questions
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:38:21 pm

we just took shipment of an AJ-HPX2700G.

Mostly we shoot corporate/industrial video that ends up as SD DVD (NTSC), web delivery, Apple TV or Cisco DMP4400G.

To cover all bases, I assume we should shoot 720P60 and edit as such (FCP) then convert/compress to various formats as needed.

I've read somewhere (but can't find) something about setting the shutter to HALF. Is there any considerations regarding that that we should consider?

Any advice or preferred setups would be appreciated.

Thanks.

billy earle

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HPX2700 newbie questions
on Mar 4, 2010 at 6:06:27 pm

Congrats. It's a very nice camera.

You can shoot 720pN30 or 720pN24 to save yourself some card space and end up with 30p (or 24p) Sd images as well. I'd suggest 30pN if you don't like 24p.

[billy earle] "I've read somewhere (but can't find) something about setting the shutter to HALF. Is there any considerations regarding that that we should consider? "

Totally up to you. Faster shutter speed means less motion blur. We shoot 24pN so typically our shutter is set to half (or 180 degrees or 1/48). Some times when shooting green, we go to 1/60 to reduce blur and make a cleaner key, but it really depends on the project. Half is nice because as you change frame rates, the shutter will adjust to your frame rate.

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Mar 4, 2010 at 7:50:19 pm

If shooting 720/60P, I don't see using the shutter as necessary. It will just penalize you on light level more than 60P already does, as well as make the image to live looking, which 60P also already does.

You will be using your cards memory up at a rate of 1Gb per minute, whereas shooting 720/24P would be 2.5Gbs per minute, 30P around 2Gbps.
Much more recording time than 60P, faster transfers, more flimic motion.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

billy earle
on Mar 4, 2010 at 8:26:08 pm

Thanks for the info, guys.

We've shelved our digibetas for the 2700. Great looking camera, but finding the right format, workflow, etc has been challenging.

Since we nearly never stray from the formats deliver and the content we shoot, we've wanted to pick something and stick with it to reduce confusion. We wrestled with the XDCam vs the 2700 so right now we have footage that ranges from digibeta, to XDCAM, XDCAMEX, HPX2700 (not to mention the various iterations and codecs invoved).

So from what I've gathered, we'd probably be better off shooting 720pN30. That way we could deliver in SD DVD interlaced or progressive, flash for the web, and 720P for the AppleTV and Cisco.

First lesson we learned with the 2700 was that at 1080i the camera is a light hog.

Fortunately, we have the FCP workflow figured out.

Thanks again for the input.

billy earle

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 4, 2010 at 10:22:30 pm

[billy earle] "So from what I've gathered, we'd probably be better off shooting 720pN30. "

And I'd shoot that at AVC-I rather than DVCPro HD.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Hibben
on Apr 3, 2010 at 7:10:23 pm

I have found 720p30 is a great and easy format to use. Workflow is easy thru FCP and looks great on everything from web to DVD.

Creativity is key!
Check out my website!
http://www.snap180.com

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Mar 10, 2010 at 4:11:51 pm

I agree that you do not need the half shutter at 60p but would advise using it at 30p and most certainly at 24p. That said, if your subject/camera are fairly static then I guess you could do without the shutter. Any quick movement at 24/30 without the half shutter just looks nasty.

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]