FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic & 2010 Olympics

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Wolfe
Panasonic & 2010 Olympics
on Mar 2, 2010 at 7:53:21 pm

everything I had been reading stated that...

Panasonic’s DVCPRO HD camcorders and P2 HD storage format media will be used to capture the 2010 Winter Olympics to be held in Vancouver, Canada. The Olympic Broadcasting Services Vancouver (OBSV), who will host the broadcasts, will be using the Panasonic equipment to capture and distribute the Winter Olympics footage.

The 2010 Olympic Games will be the first Winter games to be captured with HD (1080i) equipment. Panasonic’s DVCPRO HD format was previously used in the 2008 Summer Olympics held in Beijing.

but this video shoes only XDCAM & HDCAM...

I see in the explanation that it's NBC coverage, which is what we watched in the US, so what is the Panasonic equipment The Olympic Broadcasting Services Vancouver (OBSV) is using for? broadcast for the rest of the world? or does each major country have it's own production? there were a whole lot of cameras out there...

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: Panasonic & 2010 Olympics
on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:02:17 pm

I know that Panasonic supplied a lot of gear for broadcasting at the Olympics but I too have seen BTS clips that are showing a lot of Sony XDCAM HD disc decks and cameras.

I know that Europeans seem much more Sony focused than U.S. broadcasters. I was at the Global Climate Summit in Copenhagen in December and saw almost 90% Sony gear, very few Panasonic cameras. although I had one. It seems that Europe and Australia seem to be Sony strongholds in broadcasting but in the U.S. Panasonic seems to have the edge. Just anecdotally, at least.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:17:58 pm

It was my understanding that Sony was the Broadcast supplier ( named in the credits every night)

A large amount of the Live footage on the Downhill / Aerials / Snowboard and the Hockey finals were shown being shot on Thomson LDK's, at least that was the only model I saw.

I was told by a reliable source that the robo cam at the start of the bobsleigh run that I have raved about online was from Panasonic but the handhelds were again Thomson's.

Since a good deal of the cameras were robotic and not held by operators it would be difficult to tell with out actually being there, so we are not talking tapeless for the most part, we are talking about being tethered to a truck and that usually means tape somewhere in the chain.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Michael Shugrue
on Mar 3, 2010 at 1:12:41 am

To answer the question they used everything. 3700's,3000,2700's from Panasonic. 800's,700's,1500's from Sony plus alot more. Even Std Def PDW-530 XDCAM to the Swiss broadcasters they had 7 just from us.
And quite a few P2 Cards all 32 gigs.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:17:53 am

http://www.panasonic.net/olympic/

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:39:30 am

From a Panasonic press release:

Panasonic's DVCPRO HD has already been decided upon as the recording format for the 2010 Winter Games. The company will deliver large numbers of broadcasting equipment such as the P2HD series, a solid-state memory news gathering system. The 2010 Winter Games is the ninth Olympic Games in which Panasonic’s digital technology has been used as the recording format since the Barcelona 1992 Olympic Games.

Broadcast equipment supply for the venues

Equipment Quantity
P2HD/DVCPRO HD Recorder Approx. 160 units
P2HD Camera Recorder Approx. 50 units
Monitors Approx. 600 units
Multi format live switcher 12 venues, 16 units

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Mar 3, 2010 at 6:00:14 pm

Well folks, i was at a couple of events here in vancouver & all the equipment i saw in their hands was Panasonic. Ones i noticed were HVX 200, HPX 300, 500 & HDX900.

I don't know about US but here in canada they actually had TV ads saying that Panasonic was providing all the broadcast equipment. It was kind of new to me because it was the first time Panasonic actually advertised its Pro equipment in the mainstream market.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2010 at 7:58:14 pm

[Sohrab Sandhu] "Well folks, i was at a couple of events here in vancouver & all the equipment i saw in their hands was Panasonic. "

Please tell me you were at the women's curling gold medal match.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Mar 3, 2010 at 8:32:11 pm

[Jeremy Garchow]

Please tell me you were at the women's curling gold medal match.

Hey Jeremy

Are you too a secret fan of Cheryl Bernard ;-)

I was there at the opening Ceremony & at a speed skating event.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2010 at 8:37:19 pm

[Sohrab Sandhu] "Are you too a secret fan of Cheryl Bernard ;-) "

I might be now. While I was killing time before heading out for the evening, I happened to start watching the gold medal match. I ended up being late as I was glued to the tv as the game went in to extra ends. My friends didn't believe my excuse, but I was in to it. The crowd looked like they were having a great time.

Return to posts index

Ryan Pratzel
on Mar 4, 2010 at 7:53:14 pm

I was in Vancouver shooting for NBCOlympics.com and Anheuser Busch. I shot on one of our HPX500's. However, every NBC network crew we came in contact with was shooting Sony XDCAM.

In fact, in the Feb 3, 2010 issue of TV Technology there is a front page article about Sony providing NBC with all of its cameras for Vancouver. The article states NBC obtained 20 PDW-800's for ENG/remote shooting. We saw alot of these.

Also, another note, we noticed CTV and CBC crews shooting Sony as well. These were all ENG and non-event cameras.

On the smaller camera side, we saw alot of HVX200's.

Ryan Pratzel
Executive Producer
Creative Liquid Productions
http://www.CreativeLiquid.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]