FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 capture settings in FCP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hunter
P2 capture settings in FCP
on Mar 2, 2010 at 12:19:47 am

I shoot with an HVX200 and edit in FCP 6. I shoot mostly at 720pN to take advantage of the adjustable frame rates. I then bring the footage in directly from the camera using Log and Capture. The suggested automatic sequence settings for these clips (even when they were shot at 24 fps) uses the compression codec of DVCProHD 720p60.

My question is this:

Is that the most uncompressed my footage is? Are there any settings I am missing in Log and Capture that can bring my footage in any differently? Before I do my final export of a project, I typically set my sequence compression codec to None, render it, then export for DVD (.m2v using Compressor), or export for computer/web (using the h.264 codec).

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: P2 capture settings in FCP
on Mar 2, 2010 at 2:16:09 am

It's a little confusing but the DVCPROHD codec label has a 60 in it- independent of the actual frame rate. As long as you're cutting on a 23.98 timeline it's 24p, not 60p. Get it?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 2, 2010 at 3:19:53 am

[John Hunter] "Before I do my final export of a project, I typically set my sequence compression codec to None, render it, then export for DVD"

This is an unnecessary step, in my opinion anyway, with P2 based DVCPro HD footage. You are going from 8 bit YUV, to 8 bit RGB (which can cause color shifts) and losing a generation in the transcode and gaining nothing but file size. I'd just make your DVD from a reference export of your DVCPro HD timeline.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Hunter
on Mar 2, 2010 at 3:35:13 pm

Noah,

It doesn't exactly make sense, but yes, I do edit on a 23.98 timeline.

Jeremy,

So you're suggesting that I leave my original sequence settings at DVCPRO HD 720p60, and do a QuickTime Movie export (uncheck "Make movie self-contained")? Do I then import that into Compressor?
I've attached pictures of both my sequence settings and my export settings (although I normally would just set in/out points and "export using Compressor"). Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 2, 2010 at 4:33:11 pm

[John Hunter] "So you're suggesting that I leave my original sequence settings at DVCPRO HD 720p60, and do a QuickTime Movie export (uncheck "Make movie self-contained")? Do I then import that into Compressor? "

That's exactly right. Screen grabs look perfect.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Valentin Savenkov
on Sep 13, 2010 at 12:39:52 pm

Hi John,
Fist time I am trying to export video from Panasonic HPX174 to my iMac and have no success. The computer and FCE does not see the camera (P2 card). I tried both, 1394 and USB2.0 connections. No result. Do I need a driver?

Return to posts index

John Hunter
on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:12:54 pm

Yes, you would need to download the driver (which should come on the installation disc with the camera).

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/csregistp2m/ep2main/pcdr...

While I believe FCE can edit DVCProHD if the QuickTime component/codec for it is installed, there is no P2 support in FCE. Something like the FS-100 or Raylight(?) can create a P2 MXF directory structure, or it can create a QuickTime file. However, the QuickTime file will always be encoded using the codec output by the camera (DV, DVCPro50, or DVCProHD), so without having the corresponding codec on your Mac, you won't be able to use the file. Not sure if you can download these codecs online. You may have to upgrade to FCP in order to get these (and many other) codecs from the FCP installation discs.

Hope this helps.

J O H N H U N T E R
Editor/DP
john.hunter@Luckie.com

L U C K I E & C O M P A N Y
600 Luckie Drive
Birmingham, AL 35223
(o) 205.877.9871

Return to posts index

Valentin Savenkov
on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:48:45 pm

Thank you!
I am not going to edit these files, just copy them to my iMac and send them to my client's FTP
I have already installed a driver from the site you mention. Then my Mac became to see the folder and files. I think, it's enough to copy them and upload to FTP.

Return to posts index

John Hunter
on Sep 13, 2010 at 4:41:23 pm

Yes, it should be. I would just drag the CONTENTS folder off of the camera, and upload that. It will be easier and more organized for the editor if they just have the CONTENTS folder just how it was from the camera.

J O H N H U N T E R
Editor/DP
john.hunter@Luckie.com

L U C K I E & C O M P A N Y
600 Luckie Drive
Birmingham, AL 35223
(o) 205.877.9871

Return to posts index

Valentin Savenkov
on Sep 13, 2010 at 4:45:57 pm

THANXX!