FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching Footage from HVX200 with Canon HV30

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shuling Yong
Matching Footage from HVX200 with Canon HV30
on Feb 28, 2010 at 6:12:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I will be shooting some interviews with a Panasonic HVX200 on P2 cards. Because of time constraints, I was hoping to get a friend to simultaneously shoot b-roll using my Canon HV30 which shoots in HDV.

Will there be issues matching the footage later in Final Cut Pro? What settings should I make sure to use on both cameras to minimize issues later?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Shuling

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Matching Footage from HVX200 with Canon HV30
on Feb 28, 2010 at 8:14:14 pm

Yup- huge issues- different codec, lens quality, chip size etc. Kinda like saying how well does Super 8 match with 35mm- not so well. It'd be hard to pick two less alike cameras. But if that's what you got you'll just have to make it work in post.

I would never do this if those shots were supposed to match a and b angles. If it's just b-roll footage of other stuff that's not in the same scene as the a-camera you'll get away withit more.

But then again if it's just for DVD output the differences will be less readily apparent, especially on a smaller screen.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 28, 2010 at 9:30:54 pm

Shoot some tests and see for yourself. Also, testing a workflow like this first might help you avoid trouble after the shoot. Make sure to shoot with the same frame rate on both cameras. You can try different scene files on the HVX and see which ones match best with the HV30. Don't wait until after your shoot to figure this stuff out.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 28, 2010 at 9:58:50 pm

Make sure you at least white balance the cameras every chance you can get. Keep away from the camera's special settings, shoot as neutral as possible.

Like John said matching frame rates is a must. I would also match 1080i or 720p. Then in post transcode the HDV to DVCProHD to do with the HVX.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Mar 1, 2010 at 3:21:32 pm

Shuling, not sure what your trying to get with your final piece, but you might also be able to use some filters and VFX to help hide and minimize the differences between the 2 cameras. I've done this in the past by using some cut aways as black and whites or even throwing a graphic treatment on the clips. There are ways to pull this off without venturing to far past the look your going for.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Shuling Yong
on Mar 2, 2010 at 4:00:11 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone! You guys have been very helpful, I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]