FORUMS: list search recent posts

frame grabber setting for stop motion

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Lundmark
frame grabber setting for stop motion
on Feb 26, 2010 at 8:30:14 pm

I'm trying to set my HVX200 up to be used with FrameThief to do some stop motion testing.
I set the camera to 720/30 which will allow me to do ONE-SHOT recording in the camera.
But how do I set it up to be controlled remotely via firewire?
I tried to set the 1394 to EXT but I still can't control via FrameThief.
Anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Erik

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: frame grabber setting for stop motion
on Feb 27, 2010 at 4:30:22 pm

Hmm- kinda doubt this would work to be honest. Have you considered a DSLR camera instead- far greater resolution and suitability for stop motion work than an HVX...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 27, 2010 at 6:50:22 pm

Does FrameThief capture to a hard drive or the camera? I couldn't tell from their website. I'm not sure how the camera would be capable of frame-by-frame capture. It would have to operate like a frame accurate editing deck and I don't think it has that functionality. BTW, Noah's ideas is excellent for the highest quality capture.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Erik Lundmark
on Feb 27, 2010 at 7:27:19 pm

Thanks guys.
I can do stop motion with the HVX by itself, I was trying to use software to get the onion-skin feature.
The software records frames to the disc. I just couldn't get the video out through the firewire port.
But sure the still camera is a great idea.
Erik

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 27, 2010 at 8:55:52 pm

Even a cheap point and shoot Panasonic still camera- like the FX35 would give you much better still images than any HD video camera...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]