FORUMS: list search recent posts

genlocking two HPX 170

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Binn
genlocking two HPX 170
on Feb 22, 2010 at 2:22:00 pm

Is it possible two genlock two HPX 170/171 cameras via firewire for 3D shooting?

Best
Charles

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: genlocking two HPX 170
on Feb 22, 2010 at 4:18:00 pm

nope- no genlock on that camera. But that's not to say you couldn't try poor mans 3D with it anyway.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

Charles Binn
on Feb 22, 2010 at 4:37:36 pm

Hi Noah,

I thought that one could set one camera in master and the second one in slave mode via IEEE. As far as I know at least the TC will be synchronized. Is that not the same as genlock?

Why do you mention the “poor man’s 3D”. If you need an bigger interocular distance – the 170 is not that bad, or?.

Best
Charles

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Feb 22, 2010 at 4:46:13 pm

Time code is not the same as gen-lock. Genlock refers to the picture being scan at the very same time. Time-code will be close and in the neigborhood, but it doesn't look at the video timing. I just puts the time on the frame being drawn.

Does that help?

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HPX300, HPX170, HVX200A
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Charles Binn
on Feb 22, 2010 at 5:22:26 pm

Thank you Jan,

Everyday one could learn something new ;-)

Jan, last week I posted a question concerning the AG-3DA1 - but got no answer. Could you please answer this?
-------
Do the HD-SDI out ports supply a better codec if you connect them to 2 external recorders? Will it be possible to get something like the AVCIntra codec with 10 BIT?
-------
Thanks
Charles

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 23, 2010 at 3:29:59 am

Yeah timecode sync is indeed a feature of the 170- but genlock i.e. synchonizing shutters- which is essential for accurate 3D capture cannot be done. I said you can do it poor mans- because you won't have genlock between the two cameras but you'll still be able to capture something resembling 3D by optically linking the two cameras.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]