FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Import problem: "Preview unsupported for this format"

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rune Larson
P2 Import problem: "Preview unsupported for this format"
on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:33:23 pm

Hi!
I´ve used Log and Transfer for quite some time, never having any problems with it.
Today I recevied a disk (and a copy of it for really insurance) from a client with P2 materiale.
When mounting the folders in the Log and Transfer window I can see the thumbnails but the preview area says "preview unsupported for this format" and it will not import. Having searched this forum for answers, I can see several of you have had the same problem.

* I have tried renaming the disk to "Lacie" (the original diskname) after reading this tip.
* I have checked that the MXF files exists/works (I have dragged & dropped and audio/video work seperately)
* The contents folder structure seems fine.
* Having done other imports yesterday I cannot believe its the FCP prefs, so I have not trashed them yet.

I understand the problem might have occurred during a copying operation from one disk to another. But the files seems fine and to me it seems that there is just a stupid bug that makes the operation unsuccessful. Are there any solutions to this problem other than dragging and dropping the seperate audio&video mxf files into FCP and manualy synching them??

Im running FCP 6.0.6 on a Mac Intel 10.4.11.

All the best, RL

PS! Hope its OK to post this in the P2 forum. Tried in the FCP forum before realizing this suited better. Sorry for the double post.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2 Import problem: "Preview unsupported for this format"
on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:37:05 am

Get rid of any weird symbols in your file path.

For instance, if in your folder that holds the CONTENTS and LASTCLIP.TXT is named CARD#5, the number sign will screw it up.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rune Larson
on Feb 19, 2010 at 8:12:01 am

Thanks a lot Jeremy.
Will check it out.
Update: During my sleep my brain actually "discovered" something I did not see yesterday: that some of the other reels (I worked on three of the twelve) lacked the LASTCLIP.txt, so funny you should mention those. Seems to me now that the camera assistant who did the copying did a sloppy job, so my issue might stem from folder structure issues too.
Well well... (*sees the entire workday pass by*). Thanks a lot anyhow. Will give a heads up if I find out anything else while rebuilding those txt files.

So to conclude:
Thumbnail in L&T OK.
Greyed out preview window with "Preview unsupported for this format" - unable to import.
Lacking Lastclip.txt on several reels

Wonder about buying HD log or MXF4Mac /Raylight if those can help me.

RL

Return to posts index

john Sellman
on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:35:27 pm

I had this message when I tried to transfer acvintra files to to a power pc G5. Doesn't work.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 22, 2010 at 1:58:53 am

[john Sellman] "acvintra files to to a power pc G5"

well that codec is only available in FCP7 and it is an Intel ONLY codec.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 19, 2010 at 8:31:32 pm

[Rune Larson] "Will give a heads up if I find out anything else while rebuilding those txt files. "

Lastclip.txt won't prevent an FCP Import.

When using P2CMS to make verified copies of the footage, the lastclip.txt file does not get written.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rune Larson
on Feb 20, 2010 at 10:31:57 am

Hi all- thanks for the replies.
I never resolved the issues regarding the unsupported format. However, having tried P2CMS ("This is no movie file") and other tools to fix structure or file problem I think I can say its filed under "Folder errors/bad copying etc". In the end I used the trad workaround dragging all the MXF files into FCP (via the Calibrated MXF plugin) and handsynced the material. Because I could sort the material (per P2card) on TC start I managed to sync about 6 hours in 90 minutes. Not an ideal solution, but I had no choice given the deadline of the project. And yes, it helped drinking Red Bull at the time ;)

Best, RL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]